Planning permission/Housing needs need advice please.

Minnie***

Hi,

Cutting a long story short here… We signed contracts to sell our home and signed contracts to buy a second-hand house but this sale has now fallen through on the house we were buying. They hadn’t signed contracts.

Anyway, what I’m wondering now is would we be entitled to planning permission if we went ahead with the sale of our own house (solicitor hasn’t passed on our contracts yet). We inquired about pp a few years ago and the only reason we couldn’t get pp at the time was because we didn’t have a housing need ie we owned our own home in the locality at the time. Technically/legally we don’t really own our own home because we have signed contracts to sell. I’m in a bit of a panic because we need to decide to sell or stay by the end of the week but afraid we won’t be able to get pp even if we do sell. I was told this evening that anyone who owned a property in the last five years wouldn’t be entitled to pp. Btw, I’m in the Louth area.

Any advice greatly appreciated… Minnie.

[broken link removed]

(see page 80)

a variation to the county development plan came into being in July, this outlined a new requirement which mentions the 5 year rule you talk about. However, it looks like it is still open to interpretation if you read on it talks about having insufficient current accomodation so I would say make an appointment with the planning officer for Louth rather than dismiss it. Most people seem to fall on the 4km rule which is the being from the area criteria. hope this is helpful.

Would you think Louth CC will check every PP Application to see if people have a house ??

Thanks guys.

Louthman, we know the girl that would be over our area for planning but legally we haven't got a house because we already have signed contracts to sell it. So we have a housing need but we have owned a home in the last five years don't know where that will leave us.

Back