Planning Permission for Windows

H

Hannah1

Hi,

Does anyone know if I need planning permission to do the following:

1. Change our sitting room window at front of house to a longer window to the ground, so going longer and not wider?

2. Putting sliding doors at the gable end of our house (side of house)?

3. Changing a back window for patio doors and making it wider?

We are on a one acre site not overlooking anyone and with no one behind us and with huge bushes at the back, but have one neighbour to the side opposite the proposed gable window (they can't see it). Their house is slightly in front of ours so they can't see the back of our house either, and would have trouble seeing the front of it because of the angle they are at.

Thanks

Hannah

Hi Hannah,

Welcome to AAM.

As you are covering quite a few issues would it not be best to phone your local council planning department and get their expert advice.

I have spoken to two people in the planning office and they don't seem sure, they both told me to go ahead and take a chance without permission!

I don't want trouble at a later stage but at the same time would like to avoid the 3 month wait for planning permission.

Hannah

hannah1, get that statement from the planning office in writing, if you can!! i would ask to see the top planning officer he will give you the final say. ut from what you have written i would say go ahead with the work, i cant see any reason for objections. I would say you would need permission for any changes to the front of the building if you lived in an estate of houses that were all similar, therefore a need to keep the overall appearance of the estate the same. If everyone went about changing the fronts of their houses the estate would look a right mess.
steve

Yep, I see what you mean about keeping the look the same as our neighbours, but we only have one and their house is very different anyway and about 300 yards away. So I think I'll go ahead and take a chance and hope our neighbour agrees. I tried to get something in writing from our palnning office but they then said I need to apply for pp to make it official.

Thanks for your help!

Hannah