Planning permission -changes

Mrs Aol

I think I understand that an extention of 40sqm or less can be built at the rear of a house without planning permission, what I'll like to know is if this 'extention' can be built at the same time as the original house?

Basically, we are in the process of building our house and I want to make 2 of the rooms about a meter wider (at the rear of the house). It would effectively be an increase of only 10sqm. I really don't want to have to reapply to the planning office and, so much so, I think I would put up with the plan as it is rather than contact them.

Do any of you know what the policy is on this? or have any advice please?

On something like this I'd check with the planning office and get their answer in writing from someone high up as I've been given incorrect info over the phone on occasion.

we have had our plans passed then decided we wanted to put two bedrooms and a shower room in the loft with a proper stairs up to it. We had to reapply for this with new drawings, extra fees etc and wait another 6 weeks at least for decision. suggest you check with your architect. obviously your current planning permission stays intact if the council refuse the amendments. we are also seeking to double the size of the garage too.

I think I understand that an extention of 40sqm or less can be built at the rear of a house without planning permission

This is not always true!! I cannot build any extension without permission in my area, not even a garden shed. I think its a new condition and its only purpose is to generate more revenue for the corporation for any small extensions.

As Lorna says, your architect/engineer should know the answer

This 40sq. m. is very misleading and refers to a semi-detached or detached home. For example, if you have a terraced home, the size is reduced and you are not entitled to extend by 40 sq. m. at all. Also, it's only to the rear and the side, and you cannot extend to the front without having to apply for planning permission.
To get back to the OP -
Think about it, you had to apply for planning permission for your new build. What makes you think you can then materially alter the plans and get away with it? By adding to the planning permission that has been granted you will have to reapply for a change to the planning permission. If you have already constructed these changed you will have to apply for retention. If you fail at your retention application, you will be expected to demolish the changed area of the house.

For example, if you have a terraced home, the size is reduced and you are not entitled to extend by 40 sq. m. at all. Also, it's only to the rear and the side, and you cannot extend to the front without having to apply for planning permission.
mo3art - sorry but thats way way off. Of course you can extend a terraced house to the rear with the main restriction being the first floor having a max. area of 12 sq. metres with windows 11 metres from boundary.

Please note also that buiding to the side of a house is not exempt.

I didn't say you couldn't extend, just that the area was smaller due to having a terraced home.
My apologies, having double-checked, you are quite right, extensions to the side aren't allowed.
More info http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/doeipub.nsf/0/559a098a4b8ace5580256faf00394f01/$FILE/PL5%20Doing%20work%20around%20the%20House.pdf

No expemted development may be carried out in
tandem with your approved work, many councils
also stipulate in their Planning Permission conditions
that you cannot build any exempted works to this new
dwelling at all !!!

check your PP and commence your exempted work
only when your dwelling is substantially complete,
that is if your allowed to ! If you are in any doubt
call the planning dept or the building control dept
(probably better option to speak to a Building
Control Officer) and ask.;)

This is not always true!! I cannot build any extension without permission in my area, not even a garden shed. I think its a new condition and its only purpose is to generate more revenue for the corporation for any small extensions.

Where are you? I didn't know that individual local authorities can make up their own planning laws. :)

Tell us more.

Hi

I had a similar condition on a planning I got recently in Fingal Co Co about not being allowed any extesnions sheds that would normally be exempt.
think this was because my house was in a side garden though so might not be same scenario

Well the standard 40 sq m exempt development is only allowed if it leaves a certain amount of garden space, so maybe that's what's being referred to here. If so, nothing special or out of the ordinary about that.

Back