Planning permission basic advice please

kkmaan

Hello,
I am from north Kilkenny and have lived away from the county for the last 12 years. I am thinking of returning to KK and buying a site / applying for Planning permission in south KK.
I am completely ignorant about the process so can you answer the following, and any advice greatly appreciated.
1. I am from the county but not from the locality of where the site will be, can I still apply and be potentially successful for PP?
2. What is the sequence of events from start of process to finish. note the site of PP is in hte countryside.
3. Any personal experience of a similar situation?
Thanks in advance.

can I still apply and be potentially successful for PP?
2. What is the sequence of events from start of process to finish. note the site of PP is in hte countryside.
3. Any personal experience of a similar situation?
Thanks in advance.

1. you can apply but if its a rural site you'll struggle to show housing need especially in south KK. but take comfort that existing houses / cottages etc, are cheap and that may be an avenue to building/ extending a home
  2. see the KK county council website / subsection planning. a simple location map and your particulars will probably enough for a planner to put you off. but some will always take the 'submit and we'll tell you approach', which is frustrating, misleading and sometimes dishonest in my opinion
  3. planning is difficult in a rural area unless your a local, with residential or work history (for several years, often more than 7) or a farmer - the new waste water treatment legislation has also restricted one-off rural development.

Back