Planning Permission - again...

wishbone

Hi there, we sought planning permission for a full gable in our house, it was turned down...we appealed, our appeal was rejected (not with keeping of the area, new houses - no problem! but full gable - no way!). I was talking to someone a week ago and they said if you have appealed to An Bord Pleanala and you failed that you cannot seek planning permission again - even if it's different, ie if we try for a dormer style roof instead...any thoughts? Is this (hopefully) a load of rubbish? Sounds mad if it's not...

Hi there, we sought planning permission for a full gable in our house, it was turned down...we appealed, our appeal was rejected (not with keeping of the area, new houses - no problem! but full gable - no way!). I was talking to someone a week ago and they said if you have appealed to An Bord Pleanala and you failed that you cannot seek planning permission again - even if it's different, ie if we try for a dormer style roof instead...any thoughts? Is this (hopefully) a load of rubbish? Sounds mad if it's not...

They are not correct.....

You can apply for whatever you want, whenever you want....

But it definitely makes sense to apply for something different because, if you apply for the same thing, you are asking a planner to basically say that a Bord Pleanala official was wrong... which is unlikely to happen...

But anyway, tell that someone that they are completey wrong...

What's a full gable by the way? Are you sure it was turned down because of your gable design (seems a bit unusual).

Not sure about "full gable" myself, but [broken link removed]are common roof styles.

What's a full gable by the way?
Someone might give you the correct terminology, but it's when you change the roof pitch from being sloped (half gable?) to going straight up. I think the other name for the half gable is half hip - but I might be wrong. Whole idea being you can get an attic conversion and put in a decent set of stairs with a full gable (more headroom).

Are you sure it was turned down because of your gable design
They like all the roofs to be of a similar slant (in keeping with the area as they put it) - until of course you get to the spanking new single house someone has plonked down which looks completely different and whose roof is the other way around...

(seems a bit unusual).

There's no accounting for their way of thinking when you see all the other houses in the estate who have done their own box jobs and the shapes of some of the new detached houses people have built in their back gardens, side entraces...anyway, don't start me! :rolleyes:

Based on bacchus' post above - we'd be going from a Hip Roof to a Gable Roof.

Last edited:
Another possible reason why gable rooof might be rejected is that it would have an impact on the neighbouring house since instead of the roof sloping down to the level of the ceiling on the 1st floor, the side wall of the house will stretch up three stories to the peak of the roof - can really be an imposing structure to look up at if you're the neighbour!

Back