Planning permission advice please

micheller

Need some help please re planning permission!

We have permission to build our house, 2 bed 850 sq ft.
Once this is built & certified by builder & council as being okay, we plan to straight away go for a planning exempt extension at rear of the new house.

I have read the exemptions & understand I can go up to 40 sq m space, whilst having to keep 25 sq m garden.
I can also built out above the ground floor if I stay below 12 sq m.
I can match the height of the original house- i.e two storey height?

Ground floor extension will be bout 20 sqm. & I'm thinking when this is being built we go the whole hog & add the 12 sq m at first floor level.
This would make a huge difference to the size of the house for us.

Can anyone here tell me in absolute assurance that what I am considering would be exempt? Am I reading the rules correctly?

Why would you put the extra cost on yourself to build later as it will be more expensive then than now, You could build and get a retainer later or Can you not get planning now, It would be safer just apply to change planning granted to you, you will find some answers ;

Beware of building now and seeking retention later. Risky business. But you may be able to build the exempt portion at the same time as your main house - have a word with your local planning dept to be sure. Much more cost effective if you can afford it at this time.

Last edited:
Well, we have planning permission for the first part which is 2 bed.
For this we have to keep 50 sqm garden at the back.
Our planning permission and the subsequent approval of the house is based on that and lots of other regulations so that is what we have to build if we want it certified. All this is AOK- done and dusted, no problem.

Then, once the house is certified our builder will come back & build the extension which is planning exempt. Hence all the questions about what we can build under the exempt terms, we want to be sure we don't need permission for the second part.

PS- Our engineer and the council both weren't 100% building both together so it's okay for the small extra cost to do things properly. That's not the issue Anyone know whether my understanding of the exemption guidelines as stated are correct before I go ahead based on them

No harm in getting the advice from your local planning dept. They can be surprisingly helpful and it won't affect your current planning application. Exempt development is exempt development and you can build it at any time. Why wait till you are finished if you don't have to?

Hi there -I just edited to explain our engineer (mainly) will not sign off if it's not built to the planning permission grant. But also when we approached the council they couldn't give us a 'Yes'.

Anyway....I digress!
Can anyone verify what I'm proposing in my Original post is exempt?
Ground floor 25 sq m + first floor of 12 to the height of the original house?

Your proposed extension is to the rear of the house, is under 40 sq metres and does not exceed the height of the house, and will indeed be exempt as long as you leave 25 sq metres of garden.

bskinkti's link above makes this clear.

Yeah, that's cool. I probably am being over cautious and a bit OCD about this.

Cheers all,
Michelle.

Can anyone verify what I'm proposing in my Original post is exempt?
Ground floor 25 sq m + first floor of 12 to the height of the original house?
In essence that is correct but make sure you position the windows correctly and also that you have the 25 sq. metres of open yard/garden that you mentioned.

Despite what has been said here you cant extend until the original house is completed in accordance with the PP

I may have missed something as I glanced through this thread but I still dont understand why you cant build the whole thing at the one time. it would obviously take another planning application

Sorry but that is completely wrong.

Can you point us to a source that suggests that this is wrong? There is nothing in the http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/doeipub.nsf/0/559a098a4b8ace5580256faf00394f01/$FILE/PL5%20Doing%20work%20around%20the%20House.pdf (Departmental guide) to suggest that an exempt development cannot be built at the same time as the house for which permission has been granted.

My own experience suggests that this might be OK. I received planning permission to extend to the side and asked the local authority if it was OK to build an exempt development to the rear at the same time (I submitted a sketch) and was given a cheerful go-ahead.

Micheller, you'll also need to make sure your upper floor extension is not within 2m of any boundary, so if your house is terraced or semi-detached this could be an issue.

If in doubt (or even if you are not in doubt!) you should always contact your local planning authority.

Thanks all once again- I'm going to ring the council this morning.

Reason we have to build like this is that for a new 2 bed dwelling we must keep 50 sq m open space. It seems to only be when extending the min you must then keep is 25- hence we may get another 25 sq m inside by extending.

Also, the PP conditions explicitly state we must build the house correct to the plans submitted.

Thanks all,
Michelle.

Sorry to but in, I have a question on the planning exemption and having to have 25m open space.

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown have the following rule:

Paragraph 5.5.7 of the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Development Plan 2004 – 2010 is entitled “Private Open Space” states that “All houses (terraced, semi- detached, detached) should have an area of private open space behind the front building line. In general, the requirement shall be 60 square meters minimum for 3/4/5 plus bedroom houses”

They seem to have increased the rule 25m to 60m for their area, but my question is would this rule apply if an extension is planning exempt (under 40m)?

Towger.

Reason we have to build like this is that for a new 2 bed dwelling we must keep 50 sq m open space. It seems to only be when extending the min you must then keep is 25- hence we may get another 25 sq m inside by extending.
This is a new slant on things. If it is a condition of your permission for the house that you retain 50 sq. metres of garden then you would be in breach of the PP conditions if you extended by any more than 25 sq. metres on the ground floor.

There is a difference here. Most Councils will now insist that you have a min. size of a back garden for residential amenity. This would apply to all new houses and is included as part of their development plans for both urban & suburban housing developments.

The exempted development criteria is contained within the Planning and Development Acts.

So basically there are minimum requirements to be met when you propose to build a house and then there are min. requirements in relation to extending an existing house without having to apply for PP

No, that's not a condition of our PP it's part of the development plan.
You have to keep 50sqm for a 2bed.
It is a condition that the house is built to the spec submitted.

Then once the house is built we fall under the rules for when you want to build an extension. Which is what I'm trying to clarify.
Council are ringing me back so nevermind

Towger, I believe that's for new builds. We fell under the dev plan too as a new build. However the plan may also give you some guidance on extensions after the house is built.

I could be wrong! Better to ring the council

My own experience suggests that this might be OK. I received planning permission to extend to the side and asked the local authority if it was OK to build an exempt development to the rear at the same time
Indeed that would be correct. You had a house which was going to be extended.

The exempted development regs state that you can extend the original house by A, B, C subject to X, Y, Z

You can only extend something that is already physically in existance but you cannot extend a new house as its being built as you would be in breach of the PP granted for same as it would be deemed that you are building a completely different house.

I heard a builder friend speaking about something similar recently. He advised that you put in the foundations for any planned future extension at the time of building the original dwelling as this is much cheaper. You then simly cover up the foundations with earth again and it is ready for when you do build your extension...

Hi Sheena,

Yes that's what we're hoping to do for the ground floor extension- should work out okay

We spoke to the council anyway- and we're scuppered by the 2m to each boundary rule.
The site we have is a long rectangle and only 6m wide.
So holding two metres off each side leaves the first floor extension untenable at less than 2m wide.

Ah well, you can't win them all. Onwards & upwards