Planning pecolation Holes

V

Vivienne23

Hi all have an option to buy a site although i have found out it has failed due to percolation hole failing. I know there has been a thread on this already although i seem to be a bit confused in the other thread it includes bio cycles & percolation areas to pass the test. The devlopment proposal that was put forward for this site is as follows

construction of dwelling, effluent treatment system, percolation area, bored well, boundary walls, entrance, driveway and ancillary works

Does this mean that even with the percolation area in place it would still not pass? Sorry but i am a newbie to this and do not want to be left with a piece of land that is no use to anyone including myself
Thanks,
Vivienne.

Vivenne,
Reading this is looks as if the PP submission was submitted before the percolation test was carried out - not recommended as the percolation area (size) derived from the percolation testing may impact where on the site you can locate the dwelling, and in some cases its size / driveway ect.
Contact the person that carried out the percolation test & ask if all options were considered in his report if so then the site may not be suitable for a dwelling house.

Just to explain - the percolation area is the area of ground that will absorb the treated sewage from whatever system you propose to install. If a test hole is dug where the percolation area is proposed to be located and it fails the test then the ground is deemed unsuitable and hence planning permission will be refused. The problem would be compounded with the bored well on the site as there is always a high risk of contamination.

However, depending on the size and physical shape of the site and adjacent features it may be possible to have a percolation area in another part of the site where ground conditions may be better. There are other possibilities too - such as sand & polishing filters coupled with intermittent treatment systems. This might be getting a bit too technical so I would suggest that you go back to whoever tested the site and discuss the matter with them and see what other options are open to you.

Alternatively you could get advice from your architect/engineer/technician who could either carry out a site assessment (tests) themselves or refer you to someone else to have a new assessment done prior to submitting a planning application.

If the site has already been refused permission it will be that bit more difficult to get it next time round.

Whilst the soil in situ might have failed a percolation test , it is then possible to use a raised bed area for the percolation, this is quite common in areas such as Wexford where the soil is not suitable. As previously stated , contact one of the companies who carry out such tests, you will find that they are totally clued in as to what will pass.

Secman

Back