Planning objection

potnoodler

I've just found out that an apartment complex has been planned very close to my own home, I honestly think that this will be refused as it would be too excessive for the location in many areas.
My issue is that I had an immediate intention to submit a planning objection , but on googling this I've found that the objection has to be launched within a five week period.
Obviously I'm contacting the authority tomorrow , but is this set in stone after all we're talking about an A4 sheet of paper stuck to a wall and an ad in
a newspaper, surely this is hardly regarded as being open and honest with the public and the people it will affect , so are there any other options after that

I've found that the objection has to be launched within a five week period.
Obviously I'm contacting the authority tomorrow , but is this set in stone after all we're talking about an A4 sheet of paper stuck to a wall and an ad in
a newspaper
Yes, it is set in stone.

after all we're talking about an A4 sheet of paper stuck to a wall and an ad in
a newspaper surely this is hardly regarded as being open and honest with the public and the people it will affect
If this kind of public advertising isn't regarded as open and honest, what would you suggest as an open and honest alternative?

Yes, it is set in stone.

First of I really appreciate your very frank and to the point response, turns out though as we live in Ireland this five week period while by the book is not set in stone, so my objection will still be counted as valid.

If this kind of public advertising isn't regarded as open and honest, what would you suggest as an open and honest alternative?

This is probably sufficient for a next door neighbour adding a kitchen or conservatory but a large scale apartment complex(which effects parking, traffic, views etc) I think requires a little more public notification such as a leaflet in the door of any immediate dwellings that will be affected(it's the five week close that bothers me).
Anyhow after speaking to the council it looks like quiet a few of my neighbours were more on the ball than me so happy out and confident it will be rejected.

This is the exact reason why we should all keep an eye out for local planning applications. The planners are very strict about the length of time that the sign must be displayed for and also where it is sited. They send out an inspector to check on this.

but a large scale apartment complex(which effects parking, traffic, views etc) I think requires a little more public notification such as a leaflet in the door of any immediate dwellings that will be affected
I can't see how this could be enforced or measured. How could an applicant prove that the leaflets had been delivered?

Anyhow after speaking to the council it looks like quiet a few of my neighbours were more on the ball than me so happy out and confident it will be rejected.
Don't assume that there is a direct connection between the volume of objections and the liklihood of approval or rejection. Even if the local authority does reject the application, it could well be appealed to An Bord Pleanala.

the planning regs require notice of any pending planning application to be made in prescribed local newspapers, or prescribed national newspapers.... and also an A4 public notice is to be placed at the site boundary and is to be easily readable from a public area.
These are the regulations and work quite well. Lack of knowledge regarding an application is not the responsibility of the applicants.

Back