Planning Objection query

onekeano

I've applied to put a 2 storey extension at the rear of my house. My neighbour (not attached) is making noises that I could be taking light from a window at the side of his house. The thing is that the window in question is in an extension which was built without planning permission as such the window should never have been there in the first place.

Any advice on how likely the objection against my application is to succeed?

Roy

I think your neighbour would be best advised to keep quiet in that respect, by drawing attention to his own development which was carried out without planning permission he would be obliged to apply for retention, you could then object to his application! P.S Generally, you will not need planning permission for:
  • Building an extension to the rear of the house which does not increase the original floor area of the house by more than 40 square metres and is not higher than the house. The extension should not reduce the open space at the back of the house to less than 25 square metres which must be reserved exclusively for the use of the occupants of your house. If your house has been extended before, the floor area of the extension you are now proposing and the floor area of any previous extension (including those for which you previously got planning permission) must not exceed 40 square metres. (There are also other height restrictions.)
  • Converting a garage attached to the rear or side of the house to domestic use so long as it has a floor area of less than 40 square metres. Building a garage at the back or side of a house so long as it does not extend out in front of the building line of the house and does not exceed four metres in height (if it has a tiled/slated pitched roof) or three metres (if it has any other roof type). This building will be exempt from planning permission once the floor area is limited to 25 square metres. Garages or sheds to the side of the house must match the finish of the house and may not be lived in, used for commercial purposes or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses

How long ago was his extension built?

More than 7 years? (Local Authority cannot require its demolition)
More than 20 years? (acquires a right to light)

Does his extension fall within the Planning Exemption - in terms of size etc.?

How long ago was his extension built?

More than 7 years? (Local Authority cannot require its demolition)
More than 20 years? (acquires a right to light)

Does his extension fall within the Planning Exemption - in terms of size etc.?

Hi Superman,

His extension is more than 7 years old because that's when I moved in. However I believe it's less than 20 years old. So could he be forced to seek retention? And if so the window on his gable wall (clear glass), could its removal be part of the retention process? Regarding the size, his extension is well in excess of the current exemption limits (40 sq m) and I understand the previous limits were c. 23 sq m when he would have built his extension.

Thanks
Roy

Leo - read through that thread but not sure what you mean by "this isn't a valid argument". Could you elaborate please?

Sorry, meant to quote this one, if they'll still get sufficient ambient light, you should be alright.

we had problem with neighbours all around us objecting to our two storey extension to the rear of our house. Planning permission was granded regardless of there efforts

Thanks Leo - that's very encouraging.

ADM1 - I actually made a point of calling to 4 neighbours (2 to the rear and 1 to either side) before submitting the application. I told them exactly what I was proposing to do and invited them in to see the plans in details. None indicated any concerns, in fact were appreciative that I called in to inform them and a couple wanted to know when the party would be :)

However now that the sign has gone up, one (strange person with a track record of objecting to everything aka Crank) is making very negative noises and looks like they will object. Funny thing is (well not so funny maybe) is that another neighbour tells me that when the crank put up his extension without PP my predecessor in my house was VERY UPSET because he was never consulted.

Roy

we did the same - we showed all the neighbours our plans and they where all fine with it, until the day the planning notice went up - then the objections started to roll in - from beside and behind our house, and even from people not even living in the vicinity. We found out that there are a lot of cranks where we are living, and it does leave a sour taste. We subsequently found the same few cronies where objection to everything around the neighbourhood. Don't worry about them at this stage just sit back and see what the council say - if what your planning is within the county development plan you will be fine. You are not the first and will certainly not be the last person to put a 2 storey extension to the rear of your house.

best of luck

Thanks ADM - hopefully it will go ok.

We did have a pre-planning consultation with the council to ensure they were happy with what we had submitted. The actual plan itself was replicated from an extension from another house on the road so to an extent there is a precedent. However.......

Roy

Back