Planning issue

Rujib

Hi,

I have a situation where I have got planning permission to extend and redevelop a cottage in the country. I recently started the work on a self build basis, and planned to do as much as possible of the work myself to save a few bob.
Anyway when we stripped the plaster on two walls of the old cottage and dug out the old floors we discovered that this cottage has pretty much no solid foundation.
Actual stone walls extend no more then a few inched below finish floor level. It is quite amazung really. This explains the substantial damp on the old walls and floors.
My question is would we possibly get permission to demolish the old house and atart from new with modern foundations and damp proofing to todays building regs.
I am sceptical about asking the plannimng dept as they gave me quite a lot of hassle regarding the style of extention I wanted to add to the cottage. They were determined to protect it's "vernacular style".

I don't see the value of vernacular style if the foundation has to remain as is.

Would appreiate any thoughts pr guidance.

R

Yes you will be able to knock it down and replace it quite easily.

The style of the new house will probably have to be fairly vernacular - as indicated by the Planning Dept.

Yes but will probably need planning permission to to demolish any part or all of a habitable house.

It should be possiblr to get a letter from architect/ engineer saying the house has no foundations and is therefore structurally unsound. The council might let you demolish and reinstall in same style or may make you go for planning to demolish. problem with thst si will delay you three months