Planning house extension

sparkeydyog

Existing bungalow is 900sq. ft. and we want to build on the same again. Our dilemna is whether to go up or stay on the ground. I am aware that going up is more expensive , but by how much? We would also like to know if we should gfo contract or direct? Is timber frame advisable on to existing blockwork?

Sparkey!

try atfar construction ltd who built ours [two civil engineers] price wise which is most important. The problem we found is that everything is site specific and so for one man its cheaper up and the next man its cheaper down. We got so tired of the 12 man split jury we hired an architect [luckily a good friend] who designed both and after getting them both priced we found the 'up and down extension' was cheaper than just on top of the bungalow we own. The architect chief! Free advice from everyone in my family -

stay unconfused through all of this and pay someone to tell you what you can have for your budget! Then go have some tea and a biscuit.

Best of luck mate
oirish

Cheers , but I live in Waterford( re. civil engineers)! Still appreciate help ,though we have a preference for builing up