Planning consultant experience

rduane

Hi all,

I note from the posts on this site that there are some people who have experience of dealing with planning consultants, i hope!!!

I am currently talking to one about developing a site. There has been planning problems with the site in the past. One of the reasons we want to employ the planning consultant is for them to talk to the county planners and get a pre-planning opinion from the county planners on the types of development that they would allow on the site.

The planning consultant has told me that this is a long and drawn out affair that could take months. We have asked the planning consultant to arrange a meeting with the senior county planner which he says is impossible. The best he can do is to get a telephone conversation with the area planner.
I know of quite a few cases of the area planner being okay with a planning application only to be shot down by the senior county planner.

Anyone have any experience to say that our townplanner isnt trying hard enough? Should we be expecting a meeting with the seniour county planner or at least the area planner?

Thanks,

Russell

Depends on which local authority you are talking about, and the nature of the development. It is easier to talk to a planner about a 500 unit housing development than a bedroom extension to your house.

I imagine s/he is correct about the difficulty in meeting the Planner.

The Cork County Council Planning Dept. is difficult to contact other than by phone (and then only Monday and Wednesday 9.30-10.30am). They simply don't have enough Planners for the amount of work that needs to be done there.
The City Council Planning Dept. by comparison is relatively easy to contact.

Thanks for the reply Superman,

It is cork county and the development would be medium sized residential (10-50 houses).

For such a scheme, I would expect that it would be likely that you could get to meet the Planner, provided the scheme has any hope of getting Planning.
(i.e. you are not trying to build an estate in the middle of an A1,A2 or A3 zone).
Ring the Planning Dept. at the times indicated above, ask to speak to the Planner for the area concerned, and discuss it with him/her.
You will need to have your architect draw up a proposa of some kind, so that the meeting will have something to go on.

Back