Planning Books :looking for outlying planning in Cork county costal area.

noel123ie

Hi there,
I was looking for outlying planning in Cork county costal area.
Do you know of any other books that I could use to see what kind of house I can build besides photographing houses around the coast
Cheers
Noel

Re: Planning

Check out Cork County Councils Rural Design Guide, it can be bought in bookshops and will give you a good indication of whats accepted in Cork anyway.

hi there

had a look through it but can not find?

Can you please point me in the right direction pls

Noel

Sorry about that that was an old link I had saved from a while ago. I did a search on google for "cork rural design guide" and got it again [broken link removed]

If that doesn't work let me know and i can email it to you.

If its outline permission only you wont have to submit plans at this stage. I doubt if you would be allowed anything higher than a single storey dwelling if the site is in a coastal area but if you make your application for outline permission for a dwelling house, without specifying the type or number of floors. then you can leave it with the planners to decide on what size house they are prepared to accept as this will be a condition on the outline permission if all goes well.

You can get a copy from Cork County Council if you ring them. You have to pay for it though. Even though it just refers to Cork planning guidelines it is useful for prospective self builders elsewhere. It gives examples of good & bad design ( from a planners point of view ), use of materials and landscaping. It goes some way towards explaining the rationale behind some regulations. Its a pity some more counties won't do the same.

I asked my council for guidelines before I drew up any plans, and all I got was some vague stuff about " vernacular " architecture. However, said planning officer was unable to tell me what was vernacular in my area. So I had to take my chances, and then had my application rejected because I had "too much glass", and it should be parallel to the road. It would have been nice to know from the start what they would or would not allow.

you should set up a meeting with your planner to discuss what you want, any issues they may have, etc. when you go to this meeting, bring a site plan, os map and ideas for the type of house you want to go for planning for - examples of others in the area, suggested floor plans, elevations, etc. i would advise that you go for full planning. these days it takes as much to prepare an outline planning as it does for a full one. if you go for outline you'll have to go for full planning within 3 years anyway. and you can't go for outline planning in certain circumstances. see cork co co. website for more details on this.
im my experience, outline planning needs drawings, os maps, etc. the same as going for full permission. this may be different with cork co co. a phone call to the planning office will answer this question fully for you.
good luck!

im my experience, outline planning needs drawings, os maps, etc. the same as going for full permission. this may be different with cork co co. a phone call to the planning office will answer this question fully for you.
good luck!
First of all plans are not needed for an outline application and this is normally what the bulk of the architectural/planning fee is paid for. Roughly speaking the fees for location and site maps etc would be about 25% of the fee for full house plans. If there is a doubt about the application then its always advisable to seek outline permission first without the expense of detailed plans.

The planning regulations are the same for the entire country so it would be impossible for any one county council to seek plans with an outline application.

the reason i said it has to be as detailed as going for full planning is because I had to do this 3 years ago, it was requested by the local authority.

"The planning regulations are the same for the entire country so it would be impossible for any one county council to seek plans with an outline application."

not in my view, no. guidelines are supposed to be the same in each area, more often then not this is not the case.

the planning regulations are the same throughout the country.. individual guidleines from counties differ....

outline planning doesnt not require house plans or elevations... in essence its permission given in principle for a dwelling....

however i respect ATgirls statement that its nearly as hard to get outline as it is full.... especially in a rural area.. you have to conform to the rural housing guidelines, as well as every other planning requirement....

i wouldnt consider a fee for outline to be 25% of full.....
if anything it would be at least 50% because the house plans are becoming more and more less important in deliberating a planning application...

i would also agree with ATgirl in hger advise to go in for full permission at the start... it shows you are more serious about needing a dwelling there... perhaps ask your architect if he could include a house plan that he already has... guaranteeing to him that you will use him to apply for change of house type if full permission is granted.....