Plan to pay off house in 7 years, lock in 7yr (2.25) or go with 4yr at 1.95%?

matrix

Children: 1 (4 yo)
Income: 88k (78k base, 10k bonus)
Monthly take-home pay: 3794e (After pension and employer stock purchase program)
Debt: None
Do you own any investment or other property? No

Savings; Cash of €180k
Pension: 80k
Shares: €40k
Crypto: €25k
Stocks: €15k
Precious metals: €5k

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?

I have just gone sale agreed on a property for 320k, down-payment is 185k and it's a 30 year mortgage.
My plan is to hopefully pay off the mortgage in 7 years but opted for a 30yr for flexibility as who knows what can happen.

Avant are offering me a 4yr at 1.95% (495e per month) and 2.0% thereafter (probably subject to change) or i could go with the 7yr at 2.25% (516e).
Is it worth the risk going with the 4yr, given that mortgage rates could be > 5$ in 2026? Or just go with the 7yr?

Apologies for the basic question, this is all new to me.

Normally, it is a good idea to opt for as long a term as possible for the reasons you mention.

But the problem is that if you overpay by more than 10% of the balance, you will be subject to an early repayment charge as it's a fixed rate.

So if you plan to pay it off over 7 years, opt for a shorter term. This will increase your repayments and so any overpayment will be smaller and any early repayment fee will be lower.

Brendan

Here are your repayments if you pay it off over 7 years.

1655548184660.png

So I think you should go for the 4 year rate at 1.95%

You will be saving .3% on an average balance of about €90k

Yes, the rate is likely to be higher for the last three years, but the average balance will be only about €30k, so it will matter less.

If you were planning to pay it off over 30 years, then I would recommend the 7 year rate or even a longer term.

Brendan

Here are your repayments if you pay it off over 7 years.

View attachment 6327
So I think you should go for the 4 year rate at 1.95%

You will be saving .3% on an average balance of about €90k

Yes, the rate is likely to be higher for the last three years, but the average balance will be only about €30k, so it will matter less.

If you were planning to pay it off over 30 years, then I would recommend the 7 year rate or even a longer term.

Brendan
This is a fantastic breakdown, much appreciated Brendan. Thanks a million

Back