places to walk/jog in limerick?

LB25

I got some good advice from some of you about where to live in Limerick, I'm now looking to find out about parks/greenspace and places to jog or walk after or before work. I am in the South Circular Road area. Some scare-monger types have told me not to go jogging around anywhere in Limerick and to join a gym but surely thats insane?? I'll go mad without exercise and fresh air!

Go down to the end of Greenpark Avenue and hop over the gate into the old racecourse. ;)
Or, if you want somewhere safer, try the grounds of Mary I, during the summer months anyway. UL grounds are even nicer and far bigger, but a bit of a drive away out the Dublin Rd/Castletroy side of town, which gets lousy with traffic at peak times.

I do the round of St. Nessans Road past the hospital, turn left at the church up to churchill meadows - down the dooradoyle road. Its approx 3 miles and there are loads of people out walking so its safe.

I know a few from Patrickswell who drive in and park at the church.

down henry street, over the Shannon Bridge and then all along the river bank towards Clonmacken Roundabout. Lovely and quiet along the river bank.

Although I'm quite sure the same coudl be said of any city, I do think you have to be very careful on your own past 7pm and especially past 9pm. Friend of ours, a 'foreigner', was walking home from UL and was set upon with thugs with a gun and beaten up a few months ago.

if you have a car, a great place for a run is along the headrace canal between Clonlara and O Briens bridge, and back along a smaller, tree shaded canal. In total it is 12 K but you can also do a 5 or 7 k loop too.
http://www.shannonregiontrails.ie/FindaTrail/Walking/LoopWalks/TrailName,5771,en.html

There is also the great path out to plassey from the abbey river, to UL, then crossing the river to Duck lane by clonlara, near the Blackwater river.

You will have so many choices you will be able to jog a different route every evening I do every evening summer and winter on my own usualy after 7 o clock and never felt in any danger I love the UL area and also along the shannon pathway to clonmacken I also do the Canal circle and meet other women running on their own there I can also vouch for the O'Brien Bridge walks (mayber that's for the weekend). I think you should go out there and explore you will find that you are the only one that can find 'the one' for you. Feel safe and you will be safe would be muggers know you wont have anything on you of interest to them.

Back