places to stay in rome

R Flan

would anyone have any suggestions for places to stay in Rome? heading in august and trying to book somewhere very nice but not over expensive.

I used to visit Rome quite often for business and I stayed at the Hotel Ripa, in Trastevere. The Hotel itself is nice and the rates are quite cheap for Rome. It is in a very nice area by the Tiber, very much an area that Romans like for a night out. I found the breakfast service at the Ripa very good. Home made bakery product for the real Italian beakfast experience (but meats and eggs and cereal as well). Really good restaurants are within a short distance of the hotel. The Trastevere area is interesting and colourful, somewhat different from the often crowded streets of the city centre. Local bars and restaurants are significantly cheaper than the more touristy areas, but the quality very good. I recommended this hotel to a friend who stayed there last summer, she was very pleased. The touristy areas are within walking distance.

Hotel Grand Olympic, part of the Aurum Group, and 5 minutes from the Vatican.

[broken link removed]

Check out Da Romolo Trattoria at Via Fosse di Castello 19; need to book for dinner as it's very popular.

La Focaccia Pizzeria/ Ristorante Just of the Piazza Navona at Via della Pace, 11, is good for lunch.

Try Hotel Gea Di Vulcano on Via Nazionale. One metro stop or 10mins on foot from Stazione Termini and about 10-15mins in the other direction to Piazza Venezia. Hotel is set back from the road through an arch and up the stairs.

Seems that all Rome accommodation is on the pricier side, but they gave us (family of 3) a suite located off a spiral staircase close to another exit. there were two good rooms and a just-renovated bathroom. I suspect the suite was in fact a former small apartment. Price last September was €435 for 3 nights, including the ok breakfast.

Just back from the Hotel Querinal on Via Nazional. Can't comment on the price as the trip was a birthday present from Mrs Sox, bit it's only a 15 minute walk from the Termini train station(where the airport trains come in), plenty of good cheap restaurants in the ares (eg we ate twice at La Cuccienre Natzional), 2 courses and a bottle of house red for €40 between 2.

Hotel was a lovely quiet 4 start hotel

Back