Pitfalls buying a second hand car

harvey

Looking for advice, planning on buying a new car privately.

According to the garda site they suggest not to pay cash so what is the best way after deal has been struck ?

Surely if a cheque is written, the vendor wont give car until funds are confirmed and in the meantime they could do a runner ? Bank draft is like cash too.

Also I will ask about finance and will check at Hire Purchase Info Centre for €15. What if there is finance ? Do I make cheque payable to finance company and get vendor to pay balance and get confirmation from finance company ?

Any suggestions :?

Also If I were to get the AA to inspect would vendors be likely to pay the fee or go halves on it ?

harvey said:
Bank draft is like cash too.
Bank drafts are very commonly used when buying cars, new or second hand. I don't see a problem with that once a check has been done on the car. Alternative, would be to wire the money to vendor's account (with him being present) after all paper works has been done

harvey said:
What if there is finance ?
See here

harvey said:
Also If I were to get the AA to inspect would vendors be likely to pay the fee or go halves on it ?

This survey is for your peace of mind, not the vendor's. So, if i was the vendor, i would leave the buyer pick the tab.... But as second-hand market is a buyer's market at the moment, there is loads of room for negociation..

Good luck