Piping behind Freestanding Fridge Freezer

sid

I need to go with a freestanding Fridge-Freezer when I put in my new kitchen 'cos the slope of the stairs is above it & I wouldn't get the height clearance for an integrated one.

Thing is, the washing machine is getting relegated to under the stairs so the waste for the washing machine is gonna have to pass the fridge freezer on its way out. I'm sort of concerned at the distance that this will push the fridge-freezer out from the wall.

Another option is to get out with the kango and sink it into the floor. A couple of guys I've gotten quotes off seem to have a bit of a problem with this extra work and have made a big deal out of it - I'm a bit confused why though (as I dug a bit of a channel for radiator pipes before and that didn't take long). I've access to a hammer drill & when I suggested that I might do this bit myself if it was such a problem for them, I got a wishy washy "nah, we're probably better to do it ourselves, you mightn't do it as we'd want it done".

A lot of older fridges have a grid at the back & some grid-free space down at the bottom that'd accommodate pipework passing behind the fridge. The fridge I'm getting only has 1cm (probably to facilitate a skirting board or something). I'd assume this is a common problem?

I suppose the question I need to answer is whether the hassle is worth it for the sake of 3 to 4 cms... Don't suppose there's such a thing as flatter waste pipes? Might be more prone to blockages..???

Could you perhaps remove the skirting board where the fridge is to go and put the waste tight against the wall? With that the fridge might be close enough to the wall. Bear in mind you should have some space behind the fridge so that air can circulate over the heat exchanger.
Leo

Thanks Leo

There isn't a skirting board so that's not in the way.

Re.
Bear in mind you should have some space behind the fridge so that air can circulate over the heat exchanger.

what does "some space" amount to? 1cm, 3cm, ??? I sort of had an inkling that there was a requirement to have some space behind it but had no idea how much.

There will be a recommendation in the fridge manual. You might find this online if you haven't purchased already.

Back