Pilgrimage travel to Rome and San Giovani

S

samhain

Just found out my mother is very ill and I know she would love to see where the last pope was buried and Padre Pio also. Would anyone have any ideas about organising such a trip? Would there be any restrictions on very sick people travelling that we should know about or has anyone any advice of any kind on this kind of trip? I am 26 weeks pregnant myself and I would love to travel with my parents - what is the latest I will be allowed fly. Thanks

Try [broken link removed].
All airlines vary in there rule for flying during pregnancy. Best to contact the individual airline. Good luck...

Samhain - It is a lovely thought to want to take your sick mother out to visit San Giovani, however, give it serious thought, the place is very difficult to get to. My own mother and auntie travelled out there a number of years back, they flew to Rome and then had to get a 4 hour train journey down to San Giovani. I have a close family relative who is terminally ill and he would also love to travel out there but I have been advised against it as the journey will be too difficult for him.

Also, just to make you aware that the resting place of pope John paul is beneath the main floor of st.peters and the downward passage is suitable for a wheelchair but the exit has narrow winding steps with little headroom and I don't think there is a lift..
The vatican tour can be very tireing so the old or sick should use a wheelchair ,over 15,000 people the vatican each day and queues can be very long.The pope makes an appearance on sunday and wednesday mornings and this can be pre booked as can skip the queue tours .

I would say don't go in August. Rome is really hot in August and would be awful for someone who is sick. To be honest I'd think carefully about bringing a very sick person. It's a lovely idea, but the practicalities and travel might prove too much of a hurdle. Your mother might be exhausted by it. If you do go I think Joe Walsh tours are good for Italian pilgrimages:
http://www.joewalshtours.ie/Pilgrimages/Italian_Tours/Italian_Tours.html

Is Lourdes out of the question for your mother? I think pilgrimages to Lourdes cater better for people who are sick. The Italian trips are more tours for able bodied people. It's good to have the support of really experienced people if you run into any difficulty, or even if you don't. The focus on the sick in Lourdes can be quite meaningful for those who are unwell. I know it's tackier than Rome but there are also nice day trips away from the grotto.

If you do decide to go away would it be an idea to hire someone to go with you as a carer? Some tours will only let you bring a sick person if accompanied by a nurse. Also you might get good support and help if you join up with a group going from a local church. Best of luck.

I have just returned in the last two weeks from this very trip. And we had a lovely time it was most enjoyable. We stayed in Rome Fri to Monday and were on the train at 6am Monday morning (first and earliest train fast 3 hr very comfortable) to Fogia where there was a bus outside the station to San Giovani direct a 50min journey and we were left off right outside where padre Pio is.
We had to Q for about 40mins but none of us were visalbly unwell anyone who was was given priority. We returned again that evening on a slower train 4hrs (we could have gotten the faster one but it was later. We were tired but it was doable and most worthwhile.
Monday was a quite day in San Giovani and I would advise you go that day work your trip around it. If your Mum is not up to that journey in the one day you could book a hotel in San Giovani for over night. We had an elderly person with us and a child and both were able for this. An awful lot of people told us it was not possible but it most deffinitaly is, I would advise you to book asap and go late May early une if you can to avoid crowds and heat.
We came upon a lovely guide who brought us around the vatican whos number I can give you if you mail me she was a saint we got to see everything, and if you need a wheelchair again you get priority.
I do hope you get to go, it was a very special trip and uplifting.

Regards,
J

Thanks for all your replies. I will have to have a chat with her and see does she think she would be able for it. I think I just want to do something concrete for her. At the moment I just feel so useless. She has been talking about how one of her neighbours had a lovely experience in Rome and I would love her to have something similar.

Back