Pile drivin foundations.

N

npgallag

Anyone any experience of this type of foundation. Having major trouble getting quotes for a 2200sq ft story and a half house Im planning to build. Most builders not getting back to me and the ones that are are giving me very high quotes...Dont think they really want the hassle when they can get easier jobs. Anyone have a similar experience...???

This sort of thing usually crops up in high rise building - not the sort of project that a small jobbing builder would normally get involved with.

I guess they dont want the trouble of learning about it & maybe there are insurance / product liability issues.

I presume you have a soil mechanic / engineer in the loop & he has reasons for suggesting piles ? Does he know any piling contractors that would take on this job. ( I can only think of Keller & they are a bit big :D & anyway may not operate over here )

Piling

The land is very wet as it is close to flood plane of river so Engineer stated it would need piles for foundation. We also had to include a letter with planning application stating that if building 2 story Block house it would be pile driven foundation. I got a quote from Larsons Piling for 8k for 16 piles. This I can accept but the trouble Im having is finding a builder to complete foundation as it requires the the C-beams from Pile to Pile and concrete reinforced slabs to sit on these. ..? Got a quote for 185k which I think is very expensive compared to friends building similar houses. What really annoys me is that most of the builders I sent plans to just didnt bother getting back ...no matter how much I ring them.. Think I'll give up and stay in me 3 bed semi...!!!

Chances are that Joe The Jobbing Builder will take freight. And why not ? He never had to do a job like that before !

Would there be any point in talking to Larsons & asking them what builders give them subcontract work ?

Back