Picture messaging problem

eiregal

My brother lives in Australia and has a picture phone as do I living here in Ireland. I figured I could just receive photo direct to my phone from his but when he sends me one, I receive a PIN no. and have to log onto the net to view the picture. Would this be something to do with his (Vodafone) Australian phone or my (O2) Irish phone? Any way to change it? I don't know if it's the same on his end. I've never sent him a picture - never seemed to have enough credit!

We haven't gotten to the point yet with picture messaging where companies can guarantee delivery of pictures across networks never mind across countries.

The reason you're being directed to the web is because your network doesn't recognise what's being sent to it, or can't format it for your phone. So instead of dumping it, it's being made available on the web.

You're actually lucky it's getting that far. I've had problems with this before and rang up to complain. I was sending pictures to the UK and getting charged, and the pictures were disappearing into the ether.

They gave me the excuses above, but did refund my money with almost a tone of "silly you, didn't you know, but you'll know for the next time".

So, basic answer is that there's nothing you can do to change it.

I had problems receiving picture messages on my Vodafone phone and had to view them on the internet. I rang Vodafone and the guy told me to turn off my phone and he'd send the settings direct to the phone. It's working fine now but I still have problems reading long text messages, only some come through.

Sounds like you will have to ring Vodafone again.

Long text messages are just MMS messages with no picture or audio or video content, just text. I don't think there are any settings on your handset to turn off this feature. So it is probably within Vodafone's remit to solve this problem.