PIAB (Personal Injuries Assement Board ) process

John joe

I had a personal injury and its going through the (PIAB) Personal Injuries Assement Board at the minute. If the board determine the amount of compensation does this automatically mean the defendent has to pay up or whats the procedure?

Re: PIAB process

I assume the defendent is an insurance firm. They will pay the PIAB recommendation. Although you don't have to accept it, then it will continue to court. PIAB payment does not include your legal bill whereas if you go to court, settlement will include your leagal costs but it could take a few years.

Thank you for clarifing this Davy jones. Yes its a medical company that will be making the payout. Also what if the company refuse to pay the PIAB the compensation payment?

PIAB Award has the same legal effect as a court order-they must pay it.

This is incorrect. Once PIAB make their assessment it is open to both sides to decide whether to accept it. If both sides are happy with the assessments then that is the end of it. If one party is not happy then PIAB issues an authorisation and the matter proceeds to a court case.

People should really consider getting professional assistance in dealing with PIAB.

People should really consider getting professional assistance in dealing with PIAB.
But I seem to remember that the raison d'etre for the PIAB was to eliminate the need for lawyers, expert witnesses, jury assessments, court time, judges, etc.

Has it now become the same circus (with due respect to professionals in the adverserial civil litigation system) in a different locale or just the opening act?

But I seem to remember that the raison d'etre for the PIAB was to eliminate the need for lawyers, expert witnesses, jury assessments, court time, judges, etc.

Has it now become the same circus (with due respect to professionals in the adverserial civil litigation system) in a different locale or just the opening act?

The people who designed PIAB seemed to forget that the lawyers, expert witnesses and judges were all there for a reason. The only people who seem happy with the PIAB system are the insurances companies which says everything about how it operates.

Back