PIAB declined to make an assessment, next steps

Blackrock1

my wife was rear ended the summer before last and suffered relatively severe whiplash, initially she went through the PIAB as we assumed that this was a better way to do things rather than involving a solicitor etc however after referring her for a second check up with their nominated consultant they have advised that they cannot make an assessment as his conclusion was that she hasnt improved since he last saw her (and his recommendation for a follow up would put the time scale beyond the one they set). So now we have his two reports and permission from them to pursue a claim through the courts.

Obviously we need now to appoint a solicitor etc, just wondering if anyone has any advice? im a bit wary of personal claim practitioners (probably a media driven bias) and this was why we just went via the PIAB in the first place.

Be sure to secure the authorisation letter from the PIAB first.

You should shop around a few solicitors.

When you approach a solicitor indicate that you want a section 68 letter from them.
You need an outline of the likely work involved.
For clarity, also ask specifically for an estimate of the likely costs involved.
Look at this link for some background information on S. 68 letters https://www.lawsociety.ie/Solicitor...The-Dos-And-Donts-Of-Section-68/#.XKHsRnlDGUk

If your wife's condition is not settling symptomatically you should not rush to settle too soon.
Against this you need to watch time limits for instituting proceedings as they continue to run from the date of the accident.

BTW this may not have to go to court.
If your wife's injuries resolve to a point where it is safe to settle your solicitor can always negotiate with the other side's insurance company.

Something like this would need the professional services of a solicitor.
DO NOT be tempted to deal directly with the insurers.

Hi I recently received an authorisation letter from piab due to complex medical issues. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long of a wait it might be for a court date ?

Thanks in advance

Hi I recently received an authorisation letter from piab due to complex medical issues. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long of a wait it might be for a court date ?

Thanks in advance

It all depends - sorry if that seems a bit smart.

Is it a Circuit Court case or a High Court case ? I suspect the latter.

The sooner you institute proceedings the sooner you get to trial.

Against this, you should not settle early anyhow if the complexity of your injuries means that they are going to take time to settle to a degree of stability whereby the medical prognosis can be established reliably.
This may take quite some time - possibly 2 to 3 years - to resolve and will be driven largely by the progress of your recovery.

Beware of time limits and make sure to instruct a solicitor soon. Be careful to get a section 68 letter from any solicitor you approach before instructing them. Get a few quotes. See this link to the Law Society on section 68 letters https://www.lawsociety.ie/Solicitor...he-dos-and-donts-of-section-681/#.XMbqw3lDGUk

Back