PIAB: Assault claimed by nurse

S

SmartEconomy

Hi,

There is a physical assault claim being taken by a nurse against my grandfather personally. We have received notification from the PIAB that he is making a claim.

My grandfather is in his 70s and had a serious stroke a number of years ago which left him partially paralyzed. The nurse claims that my grandfather struck him whilst he was being moved between wheelchairs causing bruising to the ribs which will keep him on painkillers for the rest of his life.

We dont know whether this happened as my grandfather doesnt remember doing this. He has practically no short term memory and it would be normal for him not to remember anything since the stroke.

What kind of case has this nurse got? Surely the case should be against the nursing home / HSE as my grandfather is in their care?

Thanks.

The PIAB is now the Injuries Board according to [broken link removed].

Here is some previously published information on the PIAB.

I'm not certain the nurse has a claim against your grandfather.

If there was an assault by an elderly man, one would first question

- was it provoked?
- was the incident witnessed or taped?
- how was an elderly recovering stroke victim able to severely injure a young male nurse?
- what liability attaches to the nursing home in relation to inadequate psychological assessment, preventative measures and health and safety training?

There seems to be something odd about this, in terms of the allegation, the relationship between the parties and the apparent non-involvement of the nursing home in proceedings.

ONQ.

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back