Physical Distancing

There are people hell bent on making this chore as difficult as possible. "You're not wearing a face mask" - "where's your plastic gloves" etc I hear from silly fanatics who suddenly have become the self styled health guardians of the land.
Maybe you should consider wearing a face mask and listen to other people's views rather than dismissing others as silly fanatics. Do you really consider people who wear face masks as silly fanatics?

Maybe you should consider wearing a face mask and listen to other people's views rather than dismissing others as silly fanatics. Do you really consider people who wear face masks as silly fanatics?

If I am infected with Covid-19 I would wear a face mask. This would prevent me from spreading the virus in the first twelve minutes of donning the mask. Otherwise, a face mask is almost useless in preventing infection coming in the other direction. Furthermore, to the untrained fanatic a face mask leads to one touching your face much more often adjusting strings etc. The plastic gloves worn by untrained fanatics are useless too.

I do condone washing hands in the proper way as often as possible and staying home and venturing out only when necessary. I have not yet three score and ten years behind me, but I'm not far off it and I take all the necessary precautions.

I don't go on patrol into supermarkets looking for problems, I try and make life as easy as possible for everybody. I acknowledge the effort made by people working in shops keeping supplies available. I don't invade the space of others. I don't wait on walkways hoping to ambush some unsuspecting well behaved jogger or cyclist. I live and let live. Unfortunately, we have some fanatics looking for problems, creating more problems, preaching from on-high and generally getting on the nerves of everybody else. I wish I could capture about 50 or 60 of them and confine them in some dark castle and hire about a dozen capable Draculas to terrorise them.

If I am infected with Covid-19 I would wear a face mask. This would prevent me from spreading the virus in the first twelve minutes of donning the mask. Otherwise, a face mask is almost useless in preventing infection coming in the other direction. Furthermore, to the untrained fanatic a face mask leads to one touching your face much more often adjusting strings etc.

I have a son who lives in Hong Kong. Everybody wears masks over there. They have had 4 deaths and about 1000 cases. They are containing this virus. Every little helps.

Unfortunately you calling other people fanatics because they wear a face mask would be typical of you all right. I see that in the country of your second home they will be distributing masks to their population. Will you be one of the people who wears a mask when you return or will you be one of the people who refuses to wear one because they are not compulsory?

"Security forces will distribute 10 million masks at public transport hubs in the coming days, Marlaska said, adding that their use was recommended but not compulsory."

I have a son who lives in Hong Kong. Everybody wears masks over there. They have had 4 deaths and about 1000 cases. They are containing this virus. Every little helps.

Unfortunately you calling other people fanatics because they wear a face mask would be typical of you all right. I see that in the country of your second home they will be distributing masks to their population. Will you be one of the people who wears a mask when you return or will you be one of the people who refuses to wear one because they are not compulsory?

"Security forces will distribute 10 million masks at public transport hubs in the coming days, Marlaska said, adding that their use was recommended but not compulsory."

In Hong Kong, Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai and most other cities in that part of the world people have been wearing face masks for years. You see they have been living with Smog continuously.

. . . . . and to answer your question I won't be wearing a face mask or plastic gloves mainly because (i) they are almost ineffective and (ii) people working in health care (not just in hospitals) need such protection and I won't contribute to any scarcity.

people working in health care (not just in hospitals) need such protection and I won't contribute to any scarcity.
But the Spanish government are handing these out to their citizens.....

and to answer your question I won't be wearing a face mask or plastic gloves mainly because (i) they are almost ineffective

I would prefer if you did, I don't need to be sprayed by a Mr. Spittle when I am out and about.

Was walking on the beach today - there is a stretch of dry sand about 3-4 metres wide. A father and two young kids (7-8) coming in the opposite direction - all spread out, taking up almost the full width of the sand. No effort to move aside, move closer together etc. I actually stopped when I was a few metres from them to see if they would move over a bit - the father just glared at me, as if to say 'what's your problem', so I said "you could try and move over to leave some distance please" and he just laughed and said " why can't you stand aside"!!

My wife has come up with an ingenious way of making a face mask and at nearly zero cost.[You don't believe me? Read on].
(i) Carefully cut the Port Cup from a bra.
(ii) Attach some elastic thread or a lace to fit.
(iii) Cut out the inside "stuffing."
(iv) Insert some kitchen paper (optional).
(v) Ensure you don't use the Starboard Cup.

Was walking on the beach today - there is a stretch of dry sand about 3-4 metres wide. A father and two young kids (7-8) coming in the opposite direction - all spread out, taking up almost the full width of the sand. No effort to move aside, move closer together etc. I actually stopped when I was a few metres from them to see if they would move over a bit - the father just glared at me, as if to say 'what's your problem', so I said "you could try and move over to leave some distance please" and he just laughed and said " why can't you stand aside"!!

You will find that this father has always been an unaware selfish idiot. Nothing will change for him. You could tell/ask him 100 times.

If I knew where half of these idiots live I would send them a letter pointing out their selfishness or better still...send it in an open envelope addressed to The Householder but put his next door neighbours address on it.

Clowns like this on the Clontarf promenade. Two families with buggies on either side of the path so nobody can use the path without coming too close to them.

If I knew where half of these idiots live I would send them a letter pointing out their selfishness or better still...send it in an open envelope addressed to The Householder but put his next door neighbours address on it.

Hi WaterWater,

I'm on your side here! Honest! But...………………….

……...would the proposed action have the desired effect?!

My wife has come up with an ingenious way of making a face mask and at nearly zero cost.[You don't believe me? Read on].
(i) Carefully cut the Port Cup from a bra.
(ii) Attach some elastic thread or a lace to fit.
(iii) Cut out the inside "stuffing."
(iv) Insert some kitchen paper (optional).
(v) Ensure you don't use the Starboard Cup.
....or else you'd look like a right tit?

Hi WaterWater,

I'm on your side here! Honest! But...………………….

……...would the proposed action have the desired effect?!

I remember being owed some money for an item I posted to the USA. I couldn't get paid. So I "mistakenly" sent a letter looking for payment but to the house "next door". Then another one to the house on the other side. I got paid. People are very brave when they are anonymous but when you bring it closer to home their tone changes. (says he, writing under WaterWater).

I have a busy enough footpath outside my home. The footpath etiquette is something else to see. I would say that 50% of people are following proper guidelines (these people always have), the other 50% just continue to walk in their straight line like they always did. Buggies have always been used by some people as battering rams in crowded areas. Having said that, I was always taught to step aside for the person carrying the load.

I would always do this, even for buggies, children on small bicycles etc........provided I sense that the person/parent was aware of ME. Looking at some people with absolutely no self awareness or a sense of entitlement just gets my goat.

Waterwater.

Firstly, I'm only hoping the ball a bit but......
if I was the next door neighbour and received a letter with my address on it and the letter was for the householder - might I not think that the letter was intended for me?

When walking near my home on Saturday a women walked toward me. She was probably in her 60's. I intended to move off the footpath onto the grass as we got close. When she was about 7 or 8 meters away she walked into the driveway of a house and glared at me angrily. I stopped and asked her if she was okay. She said that I wasn't going to move out of the way so she had to go into the driveway. I apologies, saying that it had been my intention to move when she was 4-5 meters away but it seemed she knew better. I then enquired if she knew the upcoming lotto numbers, smiled, put back on my headphones, and walked on.

Last edited:
Jogger outside my house to day. Finger to nose, snorted on to road just as a cyclist was passing him. Also a woman about 25' behind in his wake. The surge of anger inside me was off the scale....

When walking near my home on Saturday a women walked toward me. She was probably in the 60's. I intended to move off the footpath onto the grass as we got close. When she was about 7 or 8 meters away she walked into the driveway of a house and glared at me angrily. I stopped and asked her if she was okay. She said that I wasn't going to move out of the way so she had to go into the driveway. I apologies, saying that it had been my intention to move when she was 4-5 meters away but it seemed she knew better. I then enquired if she knew the upcoming lotto numbers, smiled, put back on my headphones, and walked on.

There are times when I get a soft spot for the Purple One and his experience recently is one such occasion. The self-righteous brigade i.e. those who unnecessarily wear face-masks 24/7 and have the rubber gloves reinforced by masking tape are always on the look-out for soft targets. They get this burst of "Why-are-you-not-as-fanatical-as-me?" syndrome and nothing will stop them. If they want to play & Nurses I wish they would do so in the confines of their own homes.

They won't confront WaterWater's jogger and his ability to launch a slimy snot-rocket . These fanatics always challenge the soft target. I wish they would use some Common Sense.

Last edited:
Hey Leper,

Is that a biteen of a back handed compliment...……..the initial soft spot for Purple is later explained on account of him being a...……...soft target?!

In fairness, in all fairness, fella, like (you live in Cork, right?) - Purple strikes me as being more able than most to hold his own in de real world!

Back