Photo storage device?

PMU

Hi, I’m off on my hols, far away from civilisation. I’ll have my digital SLR and a couple of 1GB cards with me. But as I’m an avid photographer I’m certain I’ll fill these up in a few days. I need some kind of storage device that will allow me to store photos from my memory cards on it. I’ve been looking at the Epson P-2000 and P-4000 but they seem a tad expensive. Is anyone aware of a lower priced model? Basically, I just want a large battery powered storage device to which I can back-up my RAWs and JPEGs. Any suggestions?

What sort of card is it, PMU? If it's a Sony memory stick or CF, something like http://www.dpreview.com/news/0405/04052504sonyhdpsm1.asp (this) would give you lots of room, but you could probably buy quite a few extra 1Gb cards for the same money...

[Edit: here's a slightly cheaper 20Gb unit - if purchasing in the States is an option?]

Do you have an iPod or would you be considering getting one anyway? There is a camera connector accessory you can get for EUR29 which attachs to the newer colour iPods letting you use it to store photos. [broken link removed]

I think some other MP3/personal video players such as offer similar functions built in.

These options might not be a whole lot cheaper than what you have already found (unless you already have a suitable iPod in which case the camera connector would save you a lot) but you are getting additional functionality for your money.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The Sony device looks interesting, but, on reflection I think I’ll take DrMoriarty’s suggestion and stock up on some 4GB compact flash cards.

Back