Photo Negs

You can get a (35mm) negative scanner. They cost about €100 to €1000 but I have seen a few good Nikon ones going cheap on ebay, most people have gone digital now. I was given a cheap Jessops one a few years back and only used it a few times. It was not worth the hassle and time, removing dust marks, adjusting the colour and contrast etc. The expensive models should do this automatically.
It is easer to get your negatives on CD during development. I think most modern development equipment now works by developing the film, scanning the negative and use a laser to print the scanned picture on photographic paper. So a CD just a by-product of the process. BTW: The scanners will produce a higher Resolution image than the likes of boots put on the CD.

Towger

Go for a Nikon Coolscan in its latest version. Will cost new about £350 -£400 on eBay. Alternatively, Minotla also does a similar scanner which is just as good. At a push you can use a flat-bed scanner but the quality is not as good.

Really helpful information - will digest until after the New Year to see how feasible it is.

All the best for now and thanks
Annamac