Photo manipulation s/w

BlueSpud

I am looking for s/w (preferrably free) to do basic manipulation of photographs, primarily jpegs. My first task is to shrink the photo, they are generated as 4.5Mb files that would take 18 A4 pages to print. I want to be able to shrink them and insert them as, say pictures in a word document.

Are you using Windows Photoshop? If so it is quite easy to resize..click on image in the menu and select resize and reduce accordingly.

gauloise said:
Are you using Windows Photoshop? If so it is quite easy to resize..click on image in the menu and select resize and reduce accordingly.
No, I dont have any s/w for the task. MS Paint is as sophisticated as it gets on my PC. I have a couple of tools to manage photos, but not resize them.

Most PC magazines that come with a free CD will probably have some sort of software on it that you could use. Have a look at the newsagents later today.

If you don't own Photoshop then the GIMP would normally be the free/open source alternative. See [broken link removed] as well.

Thanks for the pointers. I think I will go with 'car's list, there is an app called FastStone which looks like exactly what I want. I had a look at Picasa too and it seems atraightforward too. The Gimp (what a name) offering seems like it's way more than I need, but should I get a taste for this editing melarky........

Back