Photo ID for travel to UK

Randy

I know it is necessary to carry photo ID when travelling to the UK and as far as I am concerned, the use of a current driving licence is acceptable! However, if travelling with an infant what are the requirements, ie is it nesessary for them to hold a passport as obviosly they don't yet have their driving licence!!!

This OASIS doc doesn't mention any exemption for infants from the need to carry photo id so it might be safest to get a passport for the child in in doubt and you can't otherwise confirm that this is necessary in advance of travelling.

Update: from browsing around (e.g. Ryanair site) it looks like photo id for infants is not required on Ireland/UK flights but it might be worth carrying the child's birth cert (or at least a copy) just in case.

Requirements differ per airline. Check with the airline you are travelling with. I'm off to London with my neice later today and erred on the side of caution by arranging a new passport for her (as she was previously named on her mothers). I think Ryan Air said no ID was necessary and Aer Lingus wanted a birth cert. Either way I didn't want to be stuck in London during some heightened security alert and delayed because her identity was in doubt.

Back