Photo copyright

byron

Hi, not really a techie question but I'm hoping some photographers out there may know the answer to my question ...

I am trying to produce an exhibition of photos of my local area which would be permanently displayed in a local hall, does anyone know what / if any copyright issues there may be?

Some photos have been given to us by individuals and some have been found on the internet (by looking under images in Google). The plan is not to sell these pictures or mass distribute them, its more to create a local photo archive of the area.

Any help appreciated!!

Thanks,

Rob

The person who takes the photograph, automatically owns the copyright (through Irish Copyright law). You will need permission to use any photos to you would intend to use, and that includes anything from internet, as you would leave yourself open legally to pay compensation for a photo used without the permission of the copyright holder. D.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN
COPYRIGHT
Under the new COPYRIGHT AND RELATED RIGHTS ACT 2000 the owner of the Copyright of a Photograph is THE PHOTOGRAPHER.
It is illegal to Copy, Scan, Reproduce or Store in any medium a Photograph without the permission, in writing, of the Photographer.
The Irish Professional Photographers Association and it␣s members request that you observe this new law and wish you to know that they intend to pursue, through the courts, if necessary, any person or company who are in breach of this law.
In the Copyright Act of 1963, the owner of the copyright of a photograph was the Commissioner. This new law, which came into effect on 1st January 2001, states that the owner of copyright of a photograph is the Photographer.

The Act states that: 140 (7) A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1), (3) or (4) shall be liable␣
(a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,500 in respect of each infringing copy, article or device, or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months or both,
or
(b) on conviction on indictment to a fine not exceeding £100,000, or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or both.
The Act also states on page 32, that:
(12) Where an offence under this Act is committed by a body corporate and is proved to have been so committed with the consent, connivance or approval of or to be attributable to any neglect on the part of a person being a director, manager, secretary or other officer of the body corporate, or any other person who was acting or purporting to act in any such capacity, that person as well as the body corporate shall be guilty of an offence and be liable to be proceeded against and punished as if he or she were guilty of the first mentioned offence.
Also on page 77 it says that the District Court may have articles or devices specifically designed or adapted for making copies for a work, that have infringed the act, destroyed, delivered up or otherwise dealt with as the Court may think fit.