phone trouble

pudser

Hi,My mother who lives alone is getting phone calls at irregular hours but they appear to be a technical fault rather than a person/pest.eircom put atrace on it but say its not one of their customers and refered her back to the Gardai .
They in turn are disinterested.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Pudser

You could get a ''Caller ID''. Basically a box which shows the nomber that's calling you, then report that number to the Gards. Just hope it's not a private number.

But i dont think the Guards would ever care as there's no money in it for them.:mad:

Identify the number and have it barred. If the gardai are disinterested call into them in person and report it. They have an obligation to act.

But i dont think the Guards would ever care as there's no money in it for them.:mad:

I cant agree with Sn@kebite on this one.

If it's a technical fault it's not down to the Gardai.

On the other hand I had a similar problem a few years back and contacted eircom's malicious calls bureau. They told me that they couldn't put a trace on the line without authority from the Gardai - the caller display was showing private number.

I went to my local station and they got me to make a written statement of times and dates. This was sent to the local Superintendent who authorised the trace. The Garda told me it's a regular problem and he also gave me a logging sheet so I could keep details of further calls.

Within a couple of weeks the Gardai contacted me to say they'd traced the calls to a number similar to mine. The kids in the house were changing the last digits of their number and calling similar numbers at all hours and hanging up. Gardai had a word with them and problem solved.

Pudser. Keep at the local Gardai, look for the local Superintendent if necessary. If they are maliciaous calls your mother shouldn't have to put up with them.

Thanks for the suggestions;
The nimber is showing as private on the caller i.d and eircom following a request from the Gardai have said it's not one of their customers s(different provider) and refered us back to the Gardai who seem a bit perplexed.

Where to next?
She does not want to change her number.

Pudser

Ask eircom to identify the service provider, then have the conversations as described above with them.

Snakebite

can yo expand on your comments? I don't understand. Do the gardai do nixers or something that I don't know about.As already said tjhere is more than likely a tech issue here!
You seem to have a large chip on your shoulder.

Phoenix, if you're a Guard i'm sorry!! It's nothing personal, just previous experiences with the Gardai that's all...
...I suppose you could call it a chip.

I shouldn't think they do any nixers. I don't know how i implied that?

Final update
It turned out to be a top up mobile used specifically to torment 2 people and turned off all day.
She solved the problem by going ex directory with a new number

Back