phone rental replacement

A

Ash

I just learned my mother has her tepephone rented from Eircom. It costs about €5 every two months for a pretty bog standard instrument.

Apparently they offer a cordless nokia 5010 (?) to buy out for €100. This is a lot of money for my mother.

What are the options? Is that phone worth the money? Are there any decent alternatives to Eircom's models?

Nobody should be paying eircom equipment rental in this day and age. There are loads of suppliers of handsets so don't confine yourself to eircom alone. Buy your own handset(s) and tell eircom you no longer want to rent theirs. Personally I've found Diagem in Capel Street, Dublin 1 quite good in the past.

Re: phone rental

"... tell eircom you no longer want to rent theirs."

Will Eircom want their phone back before they agree to drop the equipment rental ?
Is it really that simple, just tell them to drop it and they will say 'OK, fair enough' ?

Re: Re: phone rental

Usually not - they told me to hang onto mine.

Some years ago, I returned 2 to the local eircom office - but I doubt they used them for anything.

Re: Re: phone rental

I just noticed at the weekend that my mother is still paying equipment rental (to Smart as it happens although I'm not sure if they pass it onto eircom - like some or all of the line rental charge?!?) after all these years and I told her to get onto them to get it dropped ASAP. May as well be €5 in her pocket than the telcos'.

phone rental cancelled ...!!

Just rang the 1901 Eircom number - after a VERY long wait, got thru' to nice lady customer rep, told her to take off the equip rental charge. "Ok no problem. The charge will be gone from your next bill", says she.

No mention of the existing phone.

Eazy peazy

Re: phone rental cancelled ...!!

Easy Peazy, until you get your next bill and still see the charge there, happened to me on a different request! Examine that next bill

i have been trying for about 2 years to get my phone rental cancelled. our original eircom phone broke and we bought another one (not eircom), i was told by eircom that i could throw out the old phone and that my bill would be adjusted, which i did, but they never adjusted my bill, and since then i have been told that i should never have been told to throw out the phone that it should have been sent back to eircom and without the phone back they will not cancel the rental- so its stalemate - i am paying rental for a phone i dont have, mind you i have spoken to countless operators and engineers along the way who have told me that they would get it sorted but no luck, in the end i switched to ESAT as i was so fed up with the service from eircom, so i suppose it will never be sorted now

Did you put your request in writing so that you have a record of it and can have any refund/credit backdated to when you originally instructed them to stop charging you? If not do it now and keep a record of the letter. Thereafter if they continue to charge you you can always complain to [broken link removed] or whoever.

no, no letters just countless phone calls, one of the reason i havent put it in writing is that each time i was told by the operator that it would be sorted - and then i would forget about it till the next bill where upon i would phone and so would begin the whole cycle again, but youre right i should have written