phone line split between phone and visa terminal

P

podgeandrodge

A relation has a small business that accepts Credit Cards. For this he has a Visa terminal from which the a phone line goes into a junction box shared with the ordinary telephone - i.e Only one phoneline exists and both share it. Up until a week or two ago they were working in tandem - if you were on the phone, the visa terminal could not dial up and vice versa which was fine. Now, however, the terminal is giving a message "is the line plugged in or is the phone in use" even though the telephone is not being used and is working fine. The only way to get the terminal to work is to disconnect the phone.

I tried the following - disconnected the line going to the terminal and put a splitter on the one going to the phone and routed the signal to both the phone and the terminal. Result - phone still works fine but if I tried to dial up with the terminal I can hear it dial a '9' for the outside line but this does not appear to be understood by the telephone line itself and so no connection is made. It is as if the sound of the '9' being dialled is not loud enough for the telephone line to come out of internal mode.

If anyone has a clue what I mean or am trying to say I would appreciate any advice!

Up until a week or two ago they were working in tandem - if you were on the phone, the visa terminal could not dial up and vice versa which was fine.

In tandem to me would imply that they could be used simultaneously and not only independently. But how and ever...

Any chance the line was recently ADSL broadband enabled and an ADSL splitter/microfilter needs to be added to prevent the broadband connection interfering with the regular phone line/VISA terminal?

lines

Tandem was wrong choice of word sorry. Unfortunately no changes have been made to the line at all. Someone mentioned a thing called "line seizure" to me - think this refers to the terminals ability to take back control of the line after the phone is used?..

Re: lines

You mentioned dialing 9 for an outside line which suggests the use of a PBX based phone system. Is this correct? Has anything changed on the PBX?

pbx

It could well be a pbx but I don't have enough knowledge of these things - I know its a telephone system setup with internal intercom and a few phones around the building so when dialling internally you just dial the extension and for outside dial 9 . Maybe I should just tell the guy to get Eircom in or whoever installed the system! Cheers for advice though - I'll look up PBX in google and see can I learn something!

Re: pbx

I'll look up PBX in google and see can I learn something

PBX is just a general term. You might eventually be better off looking up your specific make/model of PBX if you're interested in that stuff. Anyway, I just wondered if there had been any service/upgrade of the PBX that may have impacted the performance of the VISA terminal dial-up? Is there a service agreement on these terminals that covers this sort of occurrence? I'd imagine that VISA or the bank might be keen to make sure that people remain up and running with these things?

Back