Phone line not suitable for broadband

G

Gypsy

Hi All,
broadband has just arrived in my village, when I checked on internet it said my line is not suitable. I am with Perlico so emailed them a week ago still no reply. I did have eircom on a few weeks back looking for me to move back to them.
Should I contact Eircom and say I am interested in moving back in the hope they sort out line( I am in a rural area detached house and neighbours on each side are suitable for broadband)
Or should I contact Perlico again.

If the line becomes broodband enabled it will work for all providers, whether it is Eircom, Perlico, BT, UTV, or anyone else. If your neighbours on both sides can get broadband, I can't see why you can't?

We had the same issue. Went with another provider, on the Eircom site it said line not suitable, Talked to Eircom about coming back to them , line tested and strangely line is now suitable.

BTW the "line test" facility on the Eircom site dosent actually test your line it just looks up a database list that has your line marked as suitable or not based on distance from the exchange, age and type of cabling etc.

Ask them to do an actual test and if you tell them that you will come back to their service if it passes there is a good chance it will pass!!

BTW the "line test" facility on the Eircom site dosent actually test your line it just looks up a database list that has your line marked as suitable or not based on distance from the exchange, age and type of cabling etc.

If you have recently changed phone number, your line may be in this database at the old location (which may not have been broadband eligible).

do not belive that eircom site testing... its a load of crap designed to entice people to use eircom as their provider....

Basically if you are within 4km of the exchange and your phone line works and is not ancient you should be able to get broadband.

This from a fellow that lives in a field with his phone line in a hedge. The phone line has been eaten by rats in two places and patched together. I still have 2m broadband quite nicely. The rest of it is a long story, but basically what it shows is that broadband is pretty robust once you are within range.

hi,
Idid test on both Eircom/Perlico site same reply, have not changed my number in 20 years, I live 2.2 miles from exchange. Will contact eircom about moving back -- till I get line sorted.
thanks

Gypsy,

I had that problem too - my eircom line could not take braodband, but next door's could. On the eircom website, the line tested fine and even when you rang eircom, they tested it and said it was fine. However, the local engineer discovered it wasn't suitable.

Turns out the problem is that the line was not actually a full line - it was split between several houses, I think they called it a carrier line or something like that. The only solution would have been to replace the line at a cost of €121, even then there was no guarantee that you would actually get a new line - you might just get a replacement carrier line! Also, other factors could have impacted -water on the line, etc., according to the engineer, that could mean that you can't get broadband even though it appears there is no reason why you should not get it.

There is no point in trying another provider. In my case, eircom was the only option in terms of the provision of the line itself - other providers only gave the calls, etc.

I had to get wireless broadband (which was useless). I have actually moved house since. If I had stayed where I was, I would have chanced getting a new line.

I called Eircom and was told line was testing as not suitable for broadband that I should put in a new line but that might not work also.
I then called Perlico they checked and said the problem was at the exchange and it might be sometime before I can get broadband .
They said I should go for mobile broadband at a cost of $20 per month and a once off fee of €129.99. they said very easy to set up and use.
Before I go to the expense of getting it I wanted to check if anyone has used it and if I should just continue with my dial up. (Very basic computer knowledge)

I wonder can the eircom test actually test a perlico line? Maybe this is the problem. Get onto perlico and ask for BB and go from there.

I wonder can the eircom test actually test a perlico line? Maybe this is the problem. Get onto perlico and ask for BB and go from there.
I was on to perlico they also did test and said not suitable due to problem at exchange, they said get mobile broadband