Phone Data Package

Larsheen

I am hoping someone might help me with the following. With the latest increases notified by Virgin, I’ve finally had enough and intend to cancel my subscription. I am aware of free tv dishes etc but am clueless on phone data packages as I’ve never had one. I am currently with Vodofone on pay as you go so can anyone help with the best package for phone calls, Internet and if possible including a hot spot facility so as we can use our desktop and iPad for internet? We won’t be watching films or gaming. Thank you.

Didn't you ask the same thing this time last year? ;)
I'd say the same as I did then --

"take a six month contract with Eir at 25GB/month for €20 to get a free MiFi. Effectively the six months costs you €40 compared to having to buy your own MiFi. Then go PAYG thereafter. (Check if you own the MiFi and can have it unlocked after the 6 months). But don't forget rule number one! -- test the performance you are going to get before you commit to anything. And check you can return the MiFi as well as the SIM. The last thing you want is to be instantly tearing your hair out over an unsuitable package."
However, Eir unfortunately dropped their 180 day prepay plan back in March, so the remaining 30 day plans may not suit your usage, in which case have a look around at the other providers. 3 do an [broken link removed] but you are locked into an 18 month contract. Basically, Google around the options but always bear in mind any given provider performance will depend on local cell coverage which may vary throughout the day.

Last edited:
Thank you. Did I ask before? And this time last year! Ah this getting old has its downsides☹️. Thanks again. Will do the foot work

Have a look at your last few Virgin bills to see what your data usage is. It'll give an idea of whether you need an unlimited plan,vir if a capped plan would work.

Back