phone connection, too many wires?

P

pgl

This has been covered already to some extent, just looking for some specifics. I want to activate the phoneline in my living room. When I took the eircom box off the wall, I found two seperate cables coming from the wall, each having six wires. The eircom box has four connection points with wires connected and another 4 without anything connected. Any idea as to why the builder has put in these extra wires and which ones do I actually connect?
Thanks

Are these wires all conected to the same main wire or are there seperate cables coming from the wall?
In my experience, which is limited but I'll give it a go... there is one main line into your apartment, from this line there are many smaller wires, usually a coloured one with a white one. There are two of these connected to my eircom box, I've been told one for landline one for broadband.
Also included in the 'hole in the wall' are three other cables that aren't attached to anything, these run from this main box to the other outlets (that aren't hooked up) throughout the apartment to make for easier access later.
Hope that helps you a bit rather than confuse you. I'm hoping that if I'm wrong someone will correct me as I need to hook up these other lines to link up the rest of my apartment, as the main box (the only one active in my apartment is located on the other side of the hall from a plug!

Good luck,
ad

Back