Philosophers old and new

LOL

This is a true story -

One evening Rene Descartes went to chill for an hour or two at the local boozer. The bar-tender approached and said, "Ah, good evening Monsieur Descartes, shall I serve you your usual drink?". Descartes replied, "I think not", and instantly vanished.

Jean-Paul Sartre is sitting in a coffee-shop, revising a draft of his latest magnum opus. He says to the waitress, "I'd like a cup of coffee, please, with no cream." The waitress replies, "I'm sorry, M. Sartre, but we're out of cream. Would you like coffee with no milk instead?"

As a young lad prepares to go on his first date, his father gives him the following advice: "If you are ever stuck for a topic of conversation, just remember the three foolproof openers : food, family, and philosophy. You can always initiate a lively conversation about any one of those subjects."

He collects his lady-friend from her house and they go to the pictures. Queuing for seats, there’s a long uncomfortable silence and the lad's nervousness builds. Remembering his father's advice, he asks the girl: "Do you like potato pancakes?" She says "No," and the silence returns.

After a few more uncomfortable minutes, he turns to the second item on the list. He asks, "Do you have a brother?" The girl says "No," and silence once again envelopes the nervous couple.

The boy then plays his last card. He thinks of his father's advice and blurts out: "If you had a brother, would he like potato pancakes?"