Phillips TV

Sarah

Just bought a phillips 28" wisescreen from DID. The other half wanted the stand as well to match. Anyway just wondering if anyone knows if these TVs are good quality and what the sound and picture are like on them. Thanks a mill

Maybe you should have asked before you bought it?!

You'll probably get a lot of varied responses. I don't think I'll be buying Phillips TV or DVD appliances again. We have a 32" widescreen which emits a high-pitched noise as it warms up but it can sometimes come back as the screen switches aspect ratio. The DVD player hasn't fared too well either. Even after maintaining it (cleaning heads regularly) it happily skips, jumps and reports errors on discs that play fine on 2 other DVD players I have.

I have a phillips dvd player and have had no probs with this at all and have it for two years. I asked the sales guy about the tv and he said they are a great make blah blah blah...just wanted to know other users opinions!

We have had a Phillips 24 inch widescreen TV for around 2 years and have never had any problems.

Decani: do you have Sky Digital? My folks have the same problem with their TV and I think it's related to the Sky box rather than the TV.

Sorry Sarah...have a 32 inch TV and it was fine until about 6months ago when there was a problem with it. Took it to get fixed and when we got to the TV shop and told them the symptoms, the guy knew immediately what the problem was with it. Didnt even have to take it out of the car. Had to take it to Malahide Rd area where TV guy there had to send a board to somewhere in Cork to get it fixed....ended with a bill of over E200 for something we were told was a well known issue with Philips TVs...tv was out of warranty unfortunately when it happened...

CCOVICH, we used to be on Sky Digital but switched to NTL. Problem (high pitched noise) still makes an appearance.

Google the model no.
It may turn up some forum discussions etc.
Phillips used to have (may still do) a repair service.
You pay a fixed amount and pay no more whatever the problem is.
Check this out.
Avoids eejits putting in expensive parts which turn out not to be the problem.

Sent a Phillips Tv for repair 11 years ago.
Technician told me it wasn`t worth repairing even though it was only about 5 years old.I think it was a design or component problem on that model.
He recommended a model and gave me a discount.Its still working fine.

It seems there are Phillips and Phillips.I`m now very suspicious of prices that are too good to be true....they often are.

Re: Philips TV

I have a phillips tv and dvd, and neither are satisfactory.

The tv just died last year and they attempted to tell me that it was out of warranty. I told them that it was a fault in the tv as I had not moved it since they delivered it. Under the sale of goods act, it was not fit for the purpose for which I bought it. It took me a while, but they did take it away and fix it free of charge. ( I might have had to pay a small amount for delivery).

The DVD is not user friendly. You can fast forward at x4 or x32 which is too slow or too fast. To fast forward at x8, you have to go through about 6 key strokes which is crazy. It can also jump from x8 to x32 for no reason.

It also has an occasional habit of just going dead while it is recording and you lose whatever it was you were recording. The only way to get the DVD player live again is to actually unplug it from the wall.

If you set the timer to record, it works fine. But if you record something while you are watching tv, and then switch off the tv,the dvd player switches back on the tv when it finishes recording. ( I lived with this problem for a long while until someone in Phillips service suggested that I unplug the TV, so that it could not be turned back on) .

I will not buy Philips again.

Why pay for brand names like Phillips stc,. Moved into my house in 1985. Bought AIWA TV and video recorder because they were the cheapest I could get. Still going strong despite abuse and more abuse dished out in the intervening years by a family of 5 all born since 1987. I know AIWA has become a better known brand in the intervening years but at that time it was the cheapest of cheap.
Won a DVD player (made in China) 4 years ago. Brand name EVA whic I never heard of before or since. Works a treat.
I imagine SAMSUNG today gives good quality at a fair discount to the big brands like Phillips, Sony etc,.
Same applies to cars. Better a SEAT or Skoda than a VW or Audi. Quality is just as good with 20% plus discount.

There was a thread somewhere in AAM on Philips TVs (can’t locate it). Basically they are or were prone to what is called ‘IC card failure’. This happened to me. By the way, you should get the stand included with the TV. I did when I bought mine from Arnotts.

Ok so the general opinion seems to be that Phillips are a waste of time(should have asked you lot before i bought it!!) But now that i have to keep the thing if anyone knows how to prolong the life of the tv (like not plugging it out just switching the plug socket off)or how long im gonna get out of it, any info would be much appriciated!

I bought a Philips 21" TV for my parents years ago and there were never any problems with it.

There's a warehouse around the corner from where I work and it appears to be a main depot for returns of damaged \ faulty Phillip's products (mostly tv's & hi fi's). The volume of business they do would put me off ever buying anything with the Phillip's brand.

Our first TV was an SLR, bought about 7 years ago for less than £150, still going strong and owes us nothing. Also have a Phillips 21", bought about 4 years ago and it's a great tv. I think it's a bit like cars, some models were well conceived with build quality to match, others not so and price cannot always guarantee quality. I would never spend big money on TVs anyway, the technology is constantly evolving...

avantarklu said:
There's a warehouse around the corner from where I work and it appears to be a main depot for returns of damaged \ faulty Phillip's products (mostly tv's & hi fi's). The volume of business they do would put me off ever buying anything with the Phillip's brand.
Are you sure that these are not just reconditioned returns? Dell also have a factory outled which does good business and offers some good bargains. This doesn't mean that Dell sell rubbish.

Back