Philips Senseo coffee maker

blackditch

While staying with a friend in Germany during the summer I tasted coffee from the above maker and thought it very good indeed. I found the coffee maker in DID for 70euro approx but the required tea-bag type coffee "pods" are not so easy to find and I dont want to buy the coffee maker until I can source the coffee. Sensible, eh! Any help out there?

My son-in-law was given one of these for a present. After some research he found eBay was the way to go for the coffee pods.
It works out very expensive per cup, something like 30 cents.
Me, I prefer the good old filter machines.

Thanks Hoagy. I've never bought anything from EBay. Had a look just now and found the coffee maker for sale but couldnt find anyone selling just the pods.

Hi blackditch -
A quick Google came up with Douwe Egberts Senseo coffee pods for use with the Phillips Senseo coffee machine which sells for £59.99. If you’re sure your friend in Germany used that brand of coffee you can get those pods here for about 30 cents each -
http://www.shopireland.ie/kitchen/detail/B0000BY55L/Philips-HD7810/10-Senseo-Coffee-Pod/
It looks like that machine is a bargain from DID at €70. I don't know if pod size is machine specific but that might be worth checking before you buy. Nearer home, I saw Illy and Gaggia pods in Brown Thomas a few months ago where they sell coffee machines.

If anyone is interested in coffee machines I recently bought a Jura Impressa Z5 coffee machine and it's fantastic. Cappuccino, latte or espresso at the press of a button. It's idiot proof and does everything except sing. It's the latest in Swiss technology even if shamefully pricey. Just a hole in the future SSIA!

I've seen the Douwe Egbert ones for sale in several Tescos, but only a couple of varieties. In fact Tesco also sell the coffee maker but I don't recall what they had it priced at.
Check out www.typicaldutchstuff.com for the full selection including cheaper brands - Philips in association with Douwe Egberts originally made the machine for the Dutch market several years ago so the is a much greater variety and availibility in the Netherlands.

(Btw, I've no connection to the above website I'm just a very satisfied customer, I've found them to be the most reliable internet source for all the Dutch products I miss!).

Great feedback from Hoagy, Sherib and Xeresod. Looks like I'll be paying a visit to DID in the near future but buying my pods online. Think I'll give that Dutch site a try, Xeresod. Many thanks for taking the time to reply. What a great site this is!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I saw the right type pads in Lidl... and yes the Senseos are very very popular in NL, but there are lots of different generic pads available for HEMA (the Dutch Dunnes) and others....

Can I resurrect this thread and ask where in Dublin, if anywhere, you can buy the senseo coffee pods? Thanks in advance.