Peugot 106 or Polo?

tinkerbell

I am just about ready to buy my very first car. Narrowing it down I have been looking at a polo and a peugeut 106 that I like. would anyone have advise as to which one to go for please and why? Or what to watch out for and avoid too! Thanks

Re: peugeut 106 or polo?

Polo has a better reputation. If you are buying private, get a mechanic to check it out first. Lots of dodgy dealers out there that will sell rubbish cars for a living. See how many owners are on the Vehicle License Certificate. More than 1 every 3 years is not encouaging. What year are the cars, NCT-ed, crashed, what mileage and how much?

Remember you may have to service a car and put 4 new tyres on and replace a timing belt.... Could cost over E1000 to put a car right.

Best first time cars to go for in my opinion (and many others) are:

1) Toyota Yaris
2) Toyota Starlet
3) Ford Fiesta
4) Nissan Micra

I am just about ready to buy my very first car. Narrowing it down I have been looking at a polo and a peugeut 106 that I like. would anyone have advise as to which one to go for please and why? Or what to watch out for and avoid too! Thanks

I have just bought a peugeot 106 for my first car and its a great nippy number, dont know about polo's though

I'd concur with Liamwoods......In my opinion, the Polo would have a good reputation and likely higher re-sale value....Are you buying privately or from a dealer ?....Try and give me a little more info re the cars in question, their respective years and prices, warranty offered etc.....

r2d2

My first car was a Polo and I had it for 3 years and never had any trouble with it at all. The re-sale price on it was excellent compared to the price my sister got when she was trading in her 206. A friend also bought a 206 at the same time as I got the Polo and had a lot of trouble with it and the Peugot garage she bough it from. A 106 may be better but this is what I have heard about the 206. Good luck with whichever you go for.

thanks everyone. Well both are 97 registered and the 106 is from a garage with 3 months warranty, the polo a private sale but from a friend of a friend so it works out 300 cheaper. Both are NCT, I think each has 3 owners but will check for certain and the 106 has 80,000 miles while the polo has just over 100,000. Price of 106 is 200 euro more than polo. Both are supposed to be clean uncrashed but will have that checked by mechanic before final choice is made. Thanks again

From Honest John

Peugot 106 ........5th from Bottom of 100 models for reliability in Auto Express 2002 survey. 19th from Bottom in 144 car 2002 JD Power.....

Polo.... Did quite badly in 'R' reg J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction Survey. Was 115th in 'S' and 'T' reg survey....

[broken link removed]

Hobsons choice, but I'd go for the VW anyway. It will be easier to sell on later. I also drove a 106 on holidays a few years ago and found it a most uncomfortable car to sit in and drive

Murt