peugeot 407/noise

fago

Hi thereJust got a 05 407 estate 1.6hdi . Fab car. When you are going up the gears and go over 2500rpm there is a noise like a tractor(not quite as loud).:( We fear it may be to do with the turbo the dealer says its common that its only the high pressure common rail :confused: ??? To go up through the gears quicker :rolleyes: Not possible to overtake under these rev's. Any advice or knowledge of this would be great. Want to be sure before I drive 2 hours back to garage where I bought it :)

Do you notice any smoking while its making this noise? 2500rpm seems like an awful lot of revs for a Diesel.It sounds very underpowered which would imply that something else is wrong.Don't fall for"they all sound like that" ask to drive another car with the same engine.Have you driven a Diesel before?

Yeah driven a few diesels . Its not smoking or anything like that but this noise is like a loud rattle only when you are on the up at those reves like dropping from 4th to 3rd to go around something or i 1st pulling out on to main road you tend to go up but driving it sits around 1700max unless its uphill.We got the impression it was something loose or else the turbo so rang the garage to say we would look for a loose cover . He informed me its normal that its to do with the hdi engine/fuel economy and common rail and told me how to drive the car!!!!! that helped because I am only driving 23 years!! Have 6 months warranty full parts and labour but would be nice to have an idea what might be wrong

No offence ment to you fago but cars have ,moved on in 23 years, just because you have been driving for so long doesn't mean you have been driving right.

In general people who drive petrol's and diesel's are unable to swap, it takes time to learn to drive a different car and get use to the style it requires. We rent cars to people when in for service and sometimes we end up giving out a diesel to a petrol car owner and other way round and 9 times out of 10 they come back saying there is something wrong with the car and we should get it check out.

Petrol owners tell you the car cuts out, diesel owners say it revs very high etc. It takes a bit of time.

If your that worried about it go to the garage and ask to drive a similar car and see if there is a lot of difference, it might put your mind at ease.

At the and of the day it is a big car with a small enough engine, so it does have to work harder to get the job done.

None taken. I am used to driving both petrol and diesel but this sound was pointed out to me!!!!!! going to a closer main dealer to drive another 407 and see if the noise is there if so I am off to Cork. If not cool. Cant beat the mpg. Love the car. Thanks for your advice ;)

Give it back to the dealer and get him fix it.

p.s. How can you love a car that sounds like a tractor?

Yeah get your point. Its not that bad! Maybe if my last petrol sounded like it I would have worried. I am going to drive it away for another week or two and then take it back with any queries or noises that I have. Have to say drove a citreon 2.0 d for a while but this is much nicer even thought they are cut with the same cloth. Have 5 more months warranty so I wont panic yet, just thought it might be a normal !!!! noise from a 1.6hdi engine

I had 2 cars with that same engine. For a diesel it was very quiet and refined throughout the rev range.

Cheers thank you for that . I am going to bring it back next week.

I am researching used cars at the moment and am leaning heavily towards 3-4 year old 1.6 HDI 407's. They seem to be a pretty cheap buy. Over in the UK, they are seriously cheap in comparison with an equivalent passat. They are a class lower than most similar cars for CO2.

How good or bad are they in terms of reliability?

I am not too worried about resale as I tend to keep my cars for 5 years +. I feel that cars like VW's, BMW's, Audi's are great cars if you wish to buy new but are not necessarily great used buys as they hold so much of their original value. I am keen on cars that have taken a big depreciation hit in the first couple of years but are essentially fine cars.

Back