Peugeot 406 coupe HDI

BCPK

Hi,
Thinking of taking the plunge with the above, circa EUR20k for a 2003 diesel model. Any tip or hints to sway my opinion? I think they look great in comparison to the many banal unispiring cars being churned out these days. Thanks & rgds!

Had one loved it, I think they do look great, Drive well but I like peugeots, some just dont like the french cars but if you do you will like this. There different like you say than the norm so with that you will get people that slate them. Only thing really to watch apart from the usuall check over you give when buying a car is for diesel knock from engine. You'll know it if you hear it.

True but any reviews I've read are fairly positive about the diesel engine, more so as a cruiser than on country roads. Loved them since they appeared. Bit wary of servicing costs but hey, can't have everythin.

Service costs, I've had Passat dsl and A4 dsl, they between service costs and break downs my heart was broke, I had a '97 406 put over 100,000 miles on it and bar service which I think was not bad and a rad where I hit a stone never off the road, Got one of the first 406 Hdi's and again 70,000 miles later and not a day off the road.

PSA (Peugeot/Citroen) have a long history of excellent Diesel engines so you should have no worries there. The car itself is good looking and peugeots are known for having good handling (though from new model rewiews I think this may not last much longer).
French cars are also generally more comfortable than other marques and usually well specced.
The big issues as I would see them are reliability of electrical stuff and the fit/finish of things in the cabin.
The Diesel coupe is probably the pick of the range.

Yeah, I'm happy to go the extra bit for the HDI engine. My parents have a 92 diesel Citroen Zx and its been a reliable servant. The 407 interior doesn't quite live up to exterior looks but I'm shallow enough to be able to live with that. Its not what's inside that counts!!!!! On the service costs glad to hear Mr2 had a good experience with his one. The other option is the A4 1.9tdi diesel but there's too many of them around.