Peugeot 307 '05 1.4 petrol

rosiemc

Thinking seriously of buying a second hand peugeot 307. Searches here and elsewhere seem to suggest they can be highly unreliable but have also read that a lot of the niggly electrical issues were fixed in the '05 model.

It's a 1.4 petrol and on the test drive it drove like a dream. Driving a '99 liftback corolla which was great to learn in and never gave a minutes trouble but not exactly exciting ;-)

Any feedback on the newer 307s? Have they gotten any more reliable or should I steer clear?

The info. you have is correct. They did improve. I wouldnt buy one myself.

Personally having owned Peugeots previously, but not a 307, I would not be dragged into buying another one by wild horses. The best of them was a little 205 diesel, many many moons ago.

If you read the feedback, you will see that the 307s suffer from more than electrical problems.

How much are they looking for for an 05 model.

I have just gotten rid of my 307 1.4 2004. (Late September 2004) It only had 30K on the clock. I had it from new. I ended up getting €8.5K as a trade in on it. It had alloy wheels, air con, spoiler and was a lovely looking car. It was also quite comfortable and there was a lot of space in it.

On the Watchdog consumer programme a few years back, there was an issue with 307's clocking up more miles than the actual people were doing. The fault was linked to the computer. My car used an awful lot of petrol for a 1.4. Thats why I eventually got rid of it. I personally feel there might have been a problem linked to the computer, it was very heavy on juice.

A couple of times, the engine diagnostic light came on the car lost power. After waiting with the engine off for a few minutes it can be re-started and went in "limp home" mode. The computer program was re set on two occassions because of this. The indicators keeps returning and will not stay in place, which could be a safety issue, as they cancel too quickly.

I dont think I'd buy another Peugeot. The depreciation is fierce on them.

9.5k without a trade in... Fully serviced, new tyres and timing belt. 3 month warranty.

1 careful 60+ yo previous owner, I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing ;-) 50k on the clock.

Seems like a good deal for the price - the garage owner selling it is a friend of the family.

9.5k without a trade in... Fully serviced, new tyres and timing belt. 3 month warranty.

1 careful 60+ yo previous owner, I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing ;-) 50k on the clock.

Seems like a good deal for the price - the garage owner selling it is a friend of the family.
...and all of the sales cliches at no extra cost. How much better can it get? :rolleyes:

i was seriously thinking about getting one - i had a 206 with no problems but i was advised against it by several different people.

they're lovely cars but after so many people saying no - i thought that i would have been mad.

I couldn't move my budget and so looked for an older Audi A3. Got a good deal on a 4 door A3 which drives like an absolute dream and I'm delighted with her.

Last edited:
...and all of the sales cliches at no extra cost. How much better can it get? :rolleyes:

I know, it's great huh? :p

highly, A3 is another car I've been looking at. Do you find it efficient/reasonable on fuel?

I'm probably going to end up going toyota again and maybe just move up a few years to a newer corolla.

Back