Peugeot 106 - start problems

MsGinger

I've had my Peugeot 106 for 3.5 years now. Since I've had it, I've had starting problems with it on and off. Sometimes it takes a few goes to get it started (up to seven or eight goes sometimes), but it has never actually not started for me.

I've had it in to a few garages, and no one seems to be able to find a problem with it - I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what the cause might be?

Thanks,
Ginger

presuming its a petrol!
off the top of my head

Iggnition timing(garage prob checked)
fuel filter(blocked garage again would have checked)
fuel pump (i believe its in the tank could be blocked)
blocked fuel lines
intermittintent power going to fuel pump(big maybe ere doubtful given the symptoms - power loss while driving??)
Spark plugs (garage's first port of call so again doubtful)
have you an imobiliser?? migh not be shutting off.
is it just when cold

presumably u didn't mention problem when driving that leaves with problem starting sounded more like Fuel line blockage. you won't believe the deposit at the bottom of the fuel tank..metal dust, plastic piece..that can easily block the fuel supply.

you need to provide more info for expert here.
1. car service interval
2. mileage
3. timing belt change
4. spark plug renewed
5. engine response?

Thanks for replies - more info as follows:

It is a petrol engine.
No immobiliser.
Happens randomly - not just when cold but has been more often in last month or so.
Serviced every 5-7k (but does little mileage now approx 200-400 a month).
Most recent service June 06 & passed NCT Oct 06.
Mileage 96k approx.
Don't think timing belt has ever been changed - not by me at least.
Spark plugs changed June 06.
Engine response - not sure what you mean by this? The engine turns over when it doesn't start if that's what you mean?

I haven't had any loss of power while driving. I quite often let the petrol run down till the light comes on. Sometimes pumping the accelerator helps before trying third or fourth time to start (and sometimes cursing and threatening to send it to the scrap yard works too!)

From posts above looks like it could be to do with me letting the petrol run down each time I fill it? Would it be better to fill tank when it's at the 25% mark?

Thanks,
Ginger

i think the Timing belt is about to be changed as 50K is the interval.
i am sure the belt has been changed at 50K, so 100K is the next pit stop.
yes, using petrol on reserve is bad deposit can easily get into the fuel line causing blockage.

theres after market product u can get from Motor factors that can reduce the blockage.they just go into the petrol tank.

or alternatively a fuel system flush by mechanic but that can be costly.

hope this help

I'd agree with not letting the fuel run down so that the light comes on. There can be quite an accumulation of sludge in the bottom of the tank which may get swirled up and introduced into the fuel line if the fuel level is allowed to drop to low.