Petrol strimmers

Happy_Harry

My electrical Flymo is not suited for my new ( a lot bigger) garden. Have hired some professional (looking) petrol strimmers in the past which definitely did the work, however I now would like to buy one. The ones in the hireshops are all € 300 + which is a bit OTT for all the 6 or 10 times I will be using it in a year. Was in B&Q today and saw a couple for around €120. Looking online now and Woodies also has some in the same price range. They all seem to be 25 cc. Would that be a lot more powerful than the electric ones ? Has anybody bought one of these lower end petrol strimmers ? If so, are they a good buy for the home gardener ? Any features I should be looking for ? Thanks.

I bought one about 3 years ago from woodies. Cant remember the make, but its yellow Would go out and have a look but its raining!!!

Anyway, no bother at all with it, cost me about 100 quid, and works no bother since, not even a hitch.

Wexfordman

i bought one in atlantic homcare, used it 3 times and lent it to a neighbour and is now broke, in a repair shop but he cant fix it so i am bringing it back to atlantic homecare, i hope i still have the receipt.

I have a petrol strimmers...its a stubborn yoke to start...it would try your patience.

You need to be carefull as well if your used to the electrical version...you can very easily scalp your lawn..they are quite powerfull.

Always wear eye protection when using.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/shoppingref.aspx?loc=C&catid=102.1 (This) seems VERY reasonable. They also do a cordless black & decker, might be lighter and easier to use

Last edited:
I have hired them before so I know they are quite powerful, however I think the 100Euro version will be a litlle less powerful. I was wondering as well do they use the same kind ( thin and akward) of wire as the electrical ones ? I like the thickness and simplicity of the wire on the hire petrol strimmers.

Just bought a 32cc strimmer, incl brush cutter and harness in Atlantic for 149 . Will use it tonight and will write a review later..

hi harry,
can you post the name/model of the strimmer you bought. ive looked on atlantics w/site and cant find it.
thanks

It is a Garden ranger BC3411 , made by Mccullough. I have used it now and it is very powerful and reasonably user friendly, once you get the hang of starting it, which requires a certain sequence of events..

It is a Garden ranger BC3411 , made by Mccullough. I have used it now and it is very powerful and reasonably user friendly, once you get the hang of starting it, which requires a certain sequence of events..

Harry, could you let us know where and how much for the strimmer? Also, does it have a string cutter only or does it have a disc blade?

Thanks in advance.