Petrol stations disappearing?

hansov

Running low on petrol this morning so swung onto Mespil Road to get some from the filling station there. They have shut up shop it seems. That's two gone on the same route now, the other was a small one near Jurys (which used to be overpriced but hey if you have no petrol you'll pay anything.) Working in Ballsbridge so it seems the nearest to me now is in Donnybrook. Anybody any other suggestions?
As an addendum, if you are in Dublin City Centre where can you get petrol? Petrol stations seem to be disappearing at the rate of knots!

BTW I thought this is more general so put it in this forum rather than the Car forum. Mods change if you think I'm incorrect!

Last edited:
IN the city centre, I guess it would be the Statoil on the quays, about half way to Heuston Station....horrendous prices though..

Wasn't this the subject of a recent newspaper article where profitable stations are being sold to realise their underlying property value. And there is a similar pattern for small retailers in hot locations, that the value as a development site is too tempting.
Found the article

[broken link removed]

Absolutely!

On my route to work, last week, i noted my yellow fuel light blinking!!! At that stage I had passed the ones on my route. I decided to carry on to work, and go to garage on way home.

That evening, I drove from baggot street via backroads to rathmines - I arrived at the Esso garage after being 40 mins in traffic, only to find that every pump had a yellow "OUT OF FUEL" tag. The guy in the shop could not advise where else I could find one... I hadn't a clue.... so I drove up toward sundrive road and turned up to the Esso (before the KCR)... which to my utter shock had all visible pumps with yellow NO FUEL tags... a queue had formed at 1 pump, which I duly waited for my unleaded petrol....

LESSON - always make sure FUEL in car, DON'T wait until after work when traffic is a nightmare!!!

Heard anecdotally that quite a few 'breakdowns' in M50 traffic is punters running out of juice!
Re original post, a couple of stations on relelagh clonskea road..

R

Thanks guys/gals - filled up at Texaco in Ringsend at lunchtime. "Filled-up" for me nowadays means about €4 worth. The 49cc moped's tank takes 4 litres!!

I drove from baggot street via backroads to rathmines
I sympathise, having recently reformed my old 'driving on fumes' policy. But you could have gone to Ranelagh -reasonable prices- or Harold's Cross, where the taxis queue up for cheap(ish!) petrol.

I normally fill my tank right up to the top when it needs a fill. Always try and get it as cheap as possible.

I used to wait until the tanok was nearly empty before I started looking for another cheap station. I read somewhere that the best time to look for a fill is when your tank is a quarter full.

This means that you are never stuck having to buy petrol in one of those Statoil on the Quays type of place.

Over here in England I have always found the supermarkets have the cheapest petrol - e.g. my local garage has unleaded at 86.9p per litre, while Tesco are selling it at 83.9p.

Over here in England I have always found the supermarkets have the cheapest petrol - e.g. my local garage has unleaded at 86.9p per litre, while Tesco are selling it at 83.9p.

In Ireland, Tesco also has 'cheap' petrol, but garages in the vicinity of Tesco will generally match their price.

Their are no Tesco petrol stations in Dublin city centre.