Petrol mower starting problem - spark plug?

Caveat

It's a B&S engine, Castlegarden body, 18 months old.

Was using it last night and whilst it eventually started on each occasion, it often took a lot of very firm pulls of the cord to get going.

Also, I could hear a little 'popping' sound sometimes when the engine eventually started to tick over. My not very well educated guess is that this sound may indicate that the spark is getting weak.

Am I on the right track or any other ideas?

Could be the air filter? This can become dirty, you can try removing it and see if the performance improves. If it does then clean it, leave to dry and put it back in or replace with a new one. Over priming can cause this to become dirty. I think B&S recommend that you should push the prime "pump" no more than 3 times.

Thanks

You might be right - I'm maybe guilty of overdoing the pump thing sometimes.

How easy is it to get to the air filter - is there much dismantling involved?

On mine it is enclosed by a square shaped plastic cover close to the primer pump. It's held in place with just a single screw. Wouldn't recommend using the lawnmower too long without it but at least you can see if the performance improves.

as you said - it may also be the spark plugs - unscrew them and with a bit of sandpaper, rub the ends and replace

Back