Petrol Expenses

H

helpzone

Hi Guys,

I recently started a new job and supposed to be on the road getting in new work. I was supposed to get a company car but at the after 3 months of starting the job. Im there 4 months now and went about a company car the other day but was turned down. He said he thought i was happy at being on mileage. I get 30 cent per mile. which i dont think is that good. Should i be getting more or what grounds have I to stand on???

Any help on this would be great.

Thanks

Re: Petrol Expences

it all depends on the company guidelines AFAIK. in my place for instance we are on roughly 35 cent per mile.

not too far off out rate but not a good rate anyway.

Thanks for that.

But if you look at the following link [broken link removed] it says that the minimun per kilometer is €0.78 for the 1st 4000 kilometers should i not be getting this as i do drive a 1.8 petrol car.

Are you only getting th 30 cent a mile or is there an anual car allowance.

Seems mean if it is only the 30 cents.

Tell them you are not happy with the rate and insist on a car.

Let them pay for the abuse on the car.

The best option for you will depend on the kind of mileage you will be doing over the year. Low mileage will mean you'll be crucified for BIK on a company car. High mileage will mean no BIK (benefit in kind). What kind of mileage do you expect to be doing?

It seems very strange that an employer would just change their mind about a company car. What does your contract say about a car?

30cent is definitely at the lower end of the spectrum and does not compensate you for the accummulated cost of using your car.
Many companies pay 1Euro per mile and the civil Service rate is even higher than that.

i'm on 86 cent a mile for a 1.0 litre car. i think that changes if it gets to 4000 miles, but i never reach that so am not sure what happens then

The only things that are really relevant here are your contract and your relationship with your employer. What does your contract say about your getting a company car or being paid mileage rates. When you know these things then you can speak to your employer. Just be aware that if your demands are too high they may decide that they could find someone cheaper. FYI they can pay up to the civil service rates ( available on revenue website ) without incurring any tax ie to pay you 70 cent per mile costs them only 70 cent.

30c per mile is miserable if that is all you are getting. I would push for a car allowance of €1k/month on top of your gross salary aswell to pay for any depreciation/tax/insurance

Tell the Boss that at 30c per mile, you may as well use public transport.
They'll soon change their mind when you submit all of the public transport receipts and take 3 hours to get to each appointment.

Thanks for that.

But if you look at the following link [broken link removed] it says that the minimun per kilometer is €0.78 for the 1st 4000 kilometers should i not be getting this as i do drive a 1.8 petrol car.

The link shows the maximum rates allowed, not the minimum.

I presume you have also informed your insurance company about the change in use of the car ?

did this cost much extra ?

Back