Personal liability insurance?

V

vegetarian

Hi

I am starting a new thread as I did not find any information on this topic.
In countries like Germany, Austria and Switzerland almost everybody takes out a personal liability insurance ("Privathaftpflichtversicherung" in German). This covers accidental damage or injury caused to 3rd parties. For instance, if I am cycling and collide with a pedestrian, any claims by this person against me would be covered by my personal liability insurance. Even accidental damage caused by my kids to a holiday home abroad would fall under this insurance. How is this handled in Ireland?

This is covered under a Household Insurance Policy
It is clasified as Liability to Others.

Ed

OK thanks! I am surprised that this aspect does not figure more prominently
on the websites of the insurance companies. I am also not sure whether it is always included in those home insurances. Where "liability to others" is mentioned at all, its implications are neither explained nor illustrated with examples. In contrast, they all go to great length in explaining minor details of contents insurance. This is odd & completely upside down IMHO.

It is a feature of most home insurance policies but insurers do not generally inform a policyholder what is actually covered under their policy.

I am a Loss Assessor and in my experience insurers do not inform policyholders what they are entitled to receive when they make a claim.

Back