Perrytown - Terenure

mloc

Hi Folks,

We are looking at a house on Rockfield Avenue and the seller has it down as Terenure even though it is Dublin 12.
One road over is Whitehall Road which is also classed as Terenure and is also Dublin 12.

Are these descriptions accurate? I'd like to be sure about the area, also if anybody knows anything about the area I'd appreciate it.

Cheers
Colm

This old chestnut. I live nearby, some call it just Perrystown, some Manor Estate, and some Terenure, although if you look at a map Rockfield Avenue runs parallel to Whitehall Road, which some say is Kimmage as well as Terenure, confused?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perrystown

Perrystown is often classed as the border between Walkinstown and Terenure, but it is really the place where north west Templeogue, South Kimmage and South West Walkinstown meet. The hub are the shops on Whitehall road with the Laurels and the Pines pubs. Whitehall road is defined as Terenure but I never know why...

I live a mile down the road and always felt it was a nice area. Most famous person from Perrystown is one Niall Quinn.

It's one of those places that only locals know where it is as the name is generally not used on maps etc..

Thanks for that, so I think what your saying is that no matter where exactly Rockfield Ave is, it's a nice place to live?
We've been up and down the road a few times during day and night and it always seems very peaceful, it also looks lovely with the very wide tree lined road. We think it would be a nice road for bringing up kids.

Hello mloc,

I live on Rockfield Avenue myself...well it's the family home. I'm moving to Kildare in about 3 weeks with my partner but my mam and 2 younger brothers are still there - what number house are you looking at? There's a couple that were sold recently - 3 and 13.

It's a great area, very neighbourly, mature estate.

Rockfield is nice and quiet-mind you it has the worst ramps I have ever seen.
Anyway. When the houses were built in 1956 there was nothing else there-only fields leading up to the Spawell..Back then the area was Terenure, D6 and the local Parish church was Walkinstown.
The deeds of our house (in Manor Estate) say we are in Terenure-and still are according to the land Registry. The reason that it is now d12 is due to an post (PT) changing the codes-which they had to do once all those fields started to sprout houses in the early 60's!
Areas such as Glendown, Willington were originally Templeouge D12 , until the advent of d6w -which was supposed to be d26 until the people in d6 that were being displaced to the new postal area complained. Automatically houses in former d12 became more expensive as the area post code had changed-yet the location remaind the same.
All the confusion and snobery of location and postcode is created by auctioneers. My house is bigger than those around the corner, and being just around the corner is enough to prove the same location. However one is d6w and we are d12-originally were all d6! Now these are worth considerably more-Total madness! I am happy to be in d12 and always use d12 on post-many do not, and they are not wrong to use Terenure d12 on post.

We're the same as Luternau - the deeds for our house bought in 1978 on Rockfield Avenue state the address as Terenure, Dublin 6. But we always give our address as Dublin 12.

Manor Estate Terenure

Hi Colm
To my knowledge Part of perrystown including Rockfield and Manor Estate was built in the townland of whitehall terenure.Hundreds of years ago the British divided ireland into Townlands which cannot be changed by the Government or An post.The Title deeds of these houses state terenure on them and they cannot be changed by anyone either.They are legal documents.Stones have been put into the area of Manor estate Terenure to outline the perimeter of the area.There is no reason why the residents of Rockfield if their title deeds state Terenure that they cannot erect stones stating that, with south Dublins county councils permission and Help.Colm Brophy Fine Gael represented the residents of Manor Estate terenure with the council.
regards Eliz

Is this thread is a time warp?

Its a big jump from feb 07 to dec 10., but Im curious, did mloc buy the house?

Rockfield

Actually, bought in 07, started to raise a family and has never been happier :)

Hi Rockfield,

I am interested in Perrystown as a location. I take it from your post that you rate it as a place to raise a family.

What are the schools like in the area - I have two pre school boys?

Also, would you have an idea what a commute to Donnybrook would be like on a daily basis?

Thanks

E

Back